Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Aw

Another Nutcracker...

Hi folks,

While nymphing away with my favourite dragonfly nymph...

Suddenly... the line just TAUT TIGHT & SWEPT across the water surface.... just like a jet ski's rope!!!! bugeyes.gif bugeyes.gif bugeyes.gif

Ended up with a 5 miniute "follow me" struggle with my 1st pacu the "nutcracker" on the zero wt... headbang.gif .... I don't mind doing it again.... headbang.gif

user posted image

Close up of the Nut Cracker's mouth...

user posted image

Est. 6lb Pacu & my Zero Wt.

Enjoy! laugh.gif

I have one of these living in my fish tank. My wife paid like $15.00 for this thing ive_been_ripped.gif . All I had to do is catch flight to the other part of the world and catch it myself devil.gif .

QUOTE (WoolyBugger @ Jul 25 2004, 01:47 AM)
A zero weight? You're quite the sportsman.

Lite tackle is the only way to go.

tight lines,

I wasn't expecting the catch to be such a size... but since I have connected it on the 6lb tippet.... I just have to bear with her.... rolleyes.gif

The bugger's playing the dark side ph34r.gif ... with it swimming towards every piece of rock possible to brush against the tippet... It's a miracle I can still stay connect at the end. rolleyes.gif

I have seen a documentary, this fish is a relative to the Piranha & a native to the Amazon River. One of the basic diet is chewing off nuts fallen off into the river.

Nevertheless, was introduced to our waters. laugh.gif

Best Regards.

Nice fish!! Did you fight that Pacu in current or in stillwater? I managed a 2 lb Smallie yesterday in the river and my arms and legs were fatiged after that battle. How did you manage the camera once you got it in? I had trouble concentrating taking my shots!

Please make a Fly Fishing logbook entry about your Pacu adventure. Will and Leaky Waders will appreciate effort.

QUOTE (GHow @ Jul 25 2004, 10:53 AM)
Nice fish!! Did you fight that Pacu in current or in stillwater? I managed a 2 lb Smallie yesterday in the river and my arms and legs were fatiged after that battle. How did you manage the camera once you got it in? I had trouble concentrating taking my shots!

Please make a Fly Fishing logbook entry about your Pacu adventure. Will and Leaky Waders will appreciate effort.

Hi Buddy,

Great to hear you having the weak knees experience too!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I can't get the 1st few shots right, after the 5 to > 10 minutes butt benting struggle... I had to struggle with the trembling hands too... Have taken quite a number of shots before something good turned out laugh.gif

Consider the reporting done in a couple of minutes later! tongue.gif

Great catch Jimmy! I've read that Pacu fight like Bluegill due to their similar shape, and if that's true, a 6 pounder must have been a blast! Imagine catching one full grown!

QUOTE (luvinbluegills @ Jul 27 2004, 01:18 PM)
Great catch Jimmy! I've read that Pacu fight like Bluegill due to their similar shape, and if that's true, a 6 pounder must have been a blast! Imagine catching one full grown!

Hi luvinbluegills,

I totally agrees with you!

It's a real challenge just to keep her connected on light tippet.

Even I would have meet her again.... I may not land it too. tongue.gif

I have seen a documentary, this fish is a relative to the Piranha & a native to the Amazon River. One of the basic diet is chewing off nuts ...

Chewing off nuts? No wet wading for me!!! Ouch!!!! biggrin.gif