Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Patterns or Recipes?

I seen some people debating this so I thought I would see what you all thought. When you refer to the tying instructions to you prefer to call them patterns or recipes? I've personally always called them patterns but have seen and heard them referred to as recipes several times.

Will, I've used both terms to mean the same thing, but generally when I say pattern, I'm referring to the fly name, such as "Royal Coachman" etc. or if lacking a name, a descriptive name such as "Black Stone Nymph". When I use the term "recipe" I usually mean the actual list of ingredients, just like a cooking recipe, and the tying instructions involved.

I really don't care which term is used, and like a lot of things in this sport it's ridiculous to argue over such things. I think most tyers with a little bit of sense can figure out what someone is talking about if either word is used.

Now, some beginners may have trouble undertanding, but heck they can ask questions if they don't understand! dunno.gif