Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly_fischa

Some simple CDC emergers

Hi Guys

Thought I’d share an emerger that’s been really successful for me. It’s not one of my own patterns the original creator is Murray Wilson an awesome Aussie Flytyer. After catching quite a few browns on it I tied up 4 dozen in various colours the other night.

Tied on a heavy wire hook, hackle tail, a simple dubbed body, some are ribbed with thread and a Henry’s Fork CDC hackle wingcase - two strands for large hooks 12#’s and one strand for small hooks 14#’s.

Try to keep the rear end/abdomen thin so it breaks through the surface the heavy wire hook helps, it always lands the right way up, is very visible and looks super buggy from underneath. The heavy wire hook allows you to make the fly plop in the water by overpowering the cast (nifty to get attention) or alternately it lands surprisingly softly.

Hope you like it, I don't think it'll win any beauty contests but is easy to crank out and deadly on selective trout :D

4127229233_9e18474a8f_o.jpg

4127229219_2223a5d424_o.jpg

4127229215_e67c51b01a_o.jpg

4127229225_173f0505bc_o.jpg

4127229231_97e619d627_o.jpg

4127229229_40f69d816f_o.jpg

Hi Guys

Thought I’d share an emerger that’s been really successful for me. It’s not one of my own patterns the original creator is Murray Wilson an awesome Aussie Flytyer. After catching quite a few browns on it I tied up 4 dozen in various colours the other night.

Tied on a heavy wire hook, hackle tail, a simple dubbed body, some are ribbed with thread and a Henry’s Fork CDC hackle wingcase - two strands for large hooks 12#’s and one strand for small hooks 14#’s.

Try to keep the rear end/abdomen thin so it breaks through the surface the heavy wire hook helps, it always lands the right way up, is very visible and looks super buggy from underneath. The heavy wire hook allows you to make the fly plop in the water by overpowering the cast (nifty to get attention) or alternately it lands surprisingly softly.

Hope you like it, I don't think it'll win any beauty contests but is easy to crank out and deadly on selective trout :D

4127229233_9e18474a8f_o.jpg

4127229219_2223a5d424_o.jpg

4127229215_e67c51b01a_o.jpg

4127229225_173f0505bc_o.jpg

4127229231_97e619d627_o.jpg

4127229229_40f69d816f_o.jpg

Very nice Flies.

Thanks for your feedback, glad you like them :)

There's no SBS, it's a really simple tye if you follow the order in my post. The important ingredient is the CDC wingcase.

I should mention Murray ties two versions one neat and one messy like the ones I posted, the messy ones are his favourite and I have to agree. The only difference is the hackle fibre's on the neat fly are gathered together in your non tying hand pulled straight up and trimmed short/even at a slight angle slanting high/front to low/back

Old Hat - No you could do it that way, there are no tools or dubbing loops required just the material ready to wrap. It costs a bit more but is worth it. http://www.montanafly.com/mfc_tyingmateria...ork_hackle.html You get five ready to wrap lengths of cdc on a rope I get about 9-10 flies out of 1 hackle strand bearing in mind you need to use 2 strands for size 12# hooks and only one for 14# and under.

mark2olson - Glad you like the photos mark, Ironically I don't have a macro lens for my SLR so just use my wifes small compact for the forum shots. It's a Canon Powershot SD850IS Digital Elph.

Good lighting and a sturdy tripod make all the difference the only thing you lose with the compact (Not all of them but most) is depth of field control.

Wonderful fly fisha. Are you winding the cdc on a post then bringing it forward for the case?

Hi I really like them I But I think I would have to try them Paraloop Style First.....But if its two much of a pain I would Fly Fischa Method.....But they look very Unique, but if it is working that way for you ( If it not Broke don't Fix it) but I would have to try a few different ways to satisfy myself.....I am always fooling around like that

FlySlinger

Thanks Fly Slinger,

It's not my fly pattern so I don't think I'll modify it, paraloop style would work but give a neater less buggy effect (in my opinion).

What really works on this fly is it's scruffy/fluffy look, I wish I had a photo of it in water. The thing I like most about Murrays pattern is that is is so simple and quick to tie yet effective.

I don't think it'll win any beauty contests

I strongly disagree with your statement, they are truly wonderful!

I'm going to try tying one with CDC spun in dubbing loop and see how it turns out. You made me feel like an addict.

Must...tie...one....now! NOW!!! :hyst:

Firetiger -

I strongly disagree with your statement, they are truly wonderful!
I guess that's why they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, glad you like them :)

I'd be interested to know how you go with the dubbing loop wingcase.

I guess that's why they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, glad you like them :)

Hard to disagree with this one; I would say that it is not any beholder but specifically your hungry Mr. Trout, but that is just me being fussy :lol:

Dubbing loop seems to work OK; it was kinda messy dubbing the thorax and keeping the loop from unwinding, having rotary vice helped.

aussie.jpg

And yes, I do feel slightly better now ... till the withdrawal symptoms hit again

Nice one firetiger thanks for letting me know how you got on. I thought it might be tricky managing the paraloop. It's much easier using the Henry's Fork Hackle in this instance.

You've done a good job. Personally I prefer a sparser body to penetrate the surface film but I am sure the trout won't mind a juicier body ;)

I really like the hook you used is it a knapek?

Glad you like it :)

I sort of rushed the fly, forgot to brush it with velcro strip before taking the picture. It is tied with natural hare dubbing and it is supposed to get "stuck" in the film with the guard hairs sticking out in all sort of directions, hopefully imitating a struggling dun which has almost made it thru the film but not quite - tired, sorry looking, and oooh sooo vulnerable... It has worked well for me on emerger imitations.

The hook is not Knápek but another Czech maker Hanák H103BL (absolutely no relation to the more expensive Japanese Tiemco TMC103BL B) )