Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlySlinger

This is a Flying Ant with a Twist

Hi Guys this is a Fly I pick up on while Browsing on the Internet.....I don't recall the Originator I am Lucky I got the Fly tyed because there was no recipe that I can remember, here it is a Flying Ant with a twist.... I say that the easy way of describing it For me that is.....

FlySlinger

DSCF3990-1.jpg

DSCF3993-1.jpg

DSCF3985-1.jpg

interesting how didyou do tha hackles are they just trimed all but the top.

Hi....Well that Technique is Called Paraloop and Its not that difficult...not that I am that Good at it....Its a lot of Fun Get a book on Paraloops and you'll be on your way...Some of them you can find on amazon.Com for a Song....

Thank you

FlySlinger

Interesting reading on paraloop style hackle tied with rooster feathers are books by Ian Mouter, he really knows his business.

The technique can be slightly modified for use of CDC - the results are quite cool. I remember fly_fischa (you know, the lucky aussie bloke whose season just started) posting some wonderful mayfly duns about a month ago

J.

Beautiful, Flyslinger. You seem to tie the Paraloop perfectly. Maybe what you saw is something else, but you may be thinking of a pattern that I think I posted on the Net a while ago (don't remember where??). It's an ant pattern with the wings split by a Hackle Stacker (aka Paraloop). I'll post pix in a separate thread. I never tried it with hackle tips for the wings, however. Yours looks just great.

Jonny

Beautiful, Flyslinger. You seem to tie the Paraloop perfectly. Maybe what you saw is something else, but you may be thinking of a pattern that I think I posted on the Net a while ago (don't remember where??). It's an ant pattern with the wings split by a Hackle Stacker (aka Paraloop). I'll post pix in a separate thread. I never tried it with hackle tips for the wings, however. Yours looks just great.

Jonny

Hi Johnny this is FlySlinger I have Studied your Pattern....The main differences in the Pattern your Using is the Body is made out of Fur Balls and the Pattern I am Using Is Made from Black Fly Tyers Closed Cell Foam Which allows the Fly to be Buoyant all day .....You also Use "Siliconized Polypropylene" which is fine and keeps your Fly Buoyant also....I think that these too Patterns are Quit Different although Yours Uses A Down Wing Mine Uses Hackle Tips....The only thing similar Is that that I can see is that they both Use a Paraloop and they are both Ant Patterns....I am Sure That they will Both catch Fish though....Although I like the pattern you are Using...We will have two let the fish decide which one is the Best.....

FlySlinger

Flyslinger -- you're right that the flies are actually quite different. I hadn't realized yours was made with a foam body, and I now notice the little red band too. The only reason I posted my fly is that you said you'd seen something similar elsewhere, and I thought maybe you were referring to the pattern I'd posted, but I was obviously wrong. Sorry for any misunderstanding. As I said, you're fly looks just great, and I'll have to try foam for the body too. Did you tie the wings in before or after you created the paraloop/hackle stacker loop? I tie my wings in after I creat the loop, and then pull it between and through the wings. Looks like you may have tied yours before you created the hackle loop, but I'm curious.

Thanks again.

Jonny

Flyslinger -- you're right that the flies are actually quite different. I hadn't realized yours was made with a foam body, and I now notice the little red band too. The only reason I posted my fly is that you said you'd seen something similar elsewhere, and I thought maybe you were referring to the pattern I'd posted, but I was obviously wrong. Sorry for any misunderstanding. As I said, you're fly looks just great, and I'll have to try foam for the body too. Did you tie the wings in before or after you created the paraloop/hackle stacker loop? I tie my wings in after I creat the loop, and then pull it between and through the wings. Looks like you may have tied yours before you created the hackle loop, but I'm curious.

Thanks again.

Jonny

Hi Johhnny how are you doing ... Sorry I fell asleep on you.....Its Sunday you know its easy to take a Nap on Sunday......Any way This is the Sequence that the Fly Goes together.....1 Right after the Red Ribbon and Right before the paraloop thread you want the Hackle Tips.....2 The Hackle Tips are supposed to be Cocked up at an angle... The Hackle Tips in my photo were cocked up an Angle But my Photo's showed them as Straight ahead...you know how Photo's will give you a kinda of Illusion depending on the Angle in which you took The photo's.......

Thank You

FlySlinger