Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pastor Ron

Portable Tying Station

Here's a couple of pictures of a type of portable tying station. I've made several of these over the years, sold a few and gave a couple away. This one I made for my son but he never really caught the bug so it has been sitting under my tying desk for years. It's made from two 1 x 8 x 20, a couple of 2 x 4 pieces for the sides and some 1 x 2 for the vise mount. I drilled some holes in top of the back 2 x 4 for tools, added some nails to hang some tools from and put a cup hook in the end of the vise mount to put my bobbin in thus keeping it out of the way for various tying stages. I've actually used this many times.... i.e., camping trips, vacations, watching a movie with the family, etc. Everything is glued and screwed together so it is very stable and durable. There's enough information here and in the pictures for anyone to copy and build.... you can knock one of these out in half an hour. I used an amber stain for the finish, this seemed to work the best.... don't use a varnish or shellac or poly coating that has a gloss finish.... too much glare. I also cut some heavy cardboard in a couple of colors to slide onto the work area for contrast depending on what materials I'm working with.

post-24358-1263077994_thumb.jpg

post-24358-1263078017_thumb.jpg

post-24358-1263078037_thumb.jpg

post-24358-1263078060_thumb.jpg

That's a right nice design there parson! Its a spartan design for sure and as a base model I like the idea, as it leaves plenty to personalize and looks easy to reconfigure.