Fly Tying
smallieFanatic

Husk Dun (Dun with the Husk)

Hello All. I've been working on this pattern for a couple days now, trying diferant materials and such. This is my prefered dressing. I don't know whether my pattern is entirely original, but it is to the best of my knowledge.

It is more of a 'novelty' pattern I suppose, unnecesarily detailed but it is a fun one to tie. In the water it behaves perfectly, husk dipping below the water and the dun floating friskely above.

Here are some photographs from the testing (in my aquarium ^_^ :

041.jpg

The pupa husk hanging down

036.jpg

The dun atop

(apologies for the overexposed shots)

I experimented for a while before getting just such a dressing. I tried a dubbing extended body, but it was too delicate and time consuming. Then a deer hair one, it was strong, floated well, and was easy to tie, but I just didn't like the look of it.Then I tried furled material, and that clicked. Here are some ones I tied:

020.jpg

And much thanks to Ridlyfo for the great extended yarn material (on the pupa) and RStout for the Monster Dry dubbing :)

Regards,

Jan/smallieFanatic

Those are just too sweet, Jan. Love the way the husk rides

under the surface like that.

Mike

Thanks Mike! The best part is that they only take about ten minutes to tie--now that may seem like a while but that is pretty good for me :)

10 minutes now Jan, 10-15 more of them and you'll cut your time in half I bet. Sweet fly there !

That is very cool. Nice work. It's one of the nicest emerging patterns I've seen!

Awesome fly. I have never tried these double bodied flies out but they should do well for the hatches. A SBS would be lovely :)

Quite often when I like a pattern I say that I'm going to tie one (more or less straight away I guess), this one actually made me do it :D It's going to be a variant though based on the same concept.

Quite often when I like a pattern I say that I'm going to tie one (more or less straight away I guess), this one actually made me do it :D It's going to be a variant though based on the same concept.

Good, I hope it catches you some smart trout. Thanks for kind words :) I'll get right to work on a tutorial.

Very nice!!!!!! Excelent

could give me your opinion about this fly?

Thank you

post-15964-1263758194_thumb.jpg

a hug

Segundo