Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Bahamas

I'm going to the bahamas over Christmas with my family. I want to start tying some flies up for that. What should I go with.

Also, are there any solo opportuniteis there, like around all the beaches? What type of license would i need? Anyone got any good info on bahamas fishing. I really want to catch a bonefish, but would also love to catch other stuff too. I have my 8 wt bass rod, I might need to buy a new line. I fish a lot for carp, so I'm use dto sight fishing to bottom feeders in shallows.

Thanks for any help

Dan

Where in the Bahamas? There about a zillion islands in the Bahamas. If you're going to one of the popular tourist resorts, you may have to travel a bit to get away from the crowds. Your hotel may have guides on staff or at least find one for you. If you've never fished for bones before, you're going to need a guide just to point them out to you, they are very hard to see at first.

As far as flies I would suggest three; Gotcha, gotcha and a gotcha. And maybe a Charlie or two. Tie them in sized 2, 4, and 6 and vary the weights from none to 1/32 oz. with most of them with bead chain.

My favorite island is Andros, not a popular tourist destination but bonefish heaven. cool.gif

Size 4 flys. Crazy Charlie, Gold Shrimp, Fur Shrimp. They love the shrimp patterns. I fish Grand Bahama Island just along the beach from a town called West End. I always wade the flats. I usually have a guide but you could find some good flats on your own. I Stay at the Old Bahama Bay Inn and they take care of everything for me. Good luck.