Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mozes

Help me put a combo together

Hi all,

My best friend finally wants to get into FF. I spoke with his girlfriend yesterday and she told me that he wants a fly rod for his birthday. She is going to buy it for him. Her budget is about 250-300 and my job is to find a combo. I’m going to give him a full fly box as my gift. Now, what can I get for around 250-300? He is a BEGINNER FF only done it for total of about 6 hours with a borrowed $20.00 combo. I'm thinking something 5wt 8.5 - 9 feet.

1. Would a TFO Series 1 rod be way to much for him?

2. How about a reel?

3. Beginner Line?

4. If there is money left over should I get him a spare spool?

Any ideas, links, suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks

David

I am a relative beginner (2 years).

I bought a St Croix Imperial 5wt, 8'6" and a Cabela's SR2 reel, I am very happy with this setup. I also bought a spare spool with a class IV sink tip to go with the WF5. 2 minutes to change spools. With this setup I can fish all but the smallest of dries (WF5 doesn't exactly lay out delicately) and the heaviest of streamers (won't turn them over). For an all around setup it serves me well, around $300 bucks total, with lifetime warranty on all!

Get him a mid flex rod. It takes longer to learn to cast, but he will be happier in the long run. Lord knows my casts are still pretty sloppy, but effective, and it's more fun fighting fish on the limber rod!

The only thing I might have changed about my 5wt is a DT5 floating to start, but again that would make learning to cast more difficult yet.

hmmm, thats a good question..... one thing to know is... for beginners i would always choose weight forward line (easier to do standard overhead casting/false casting), and a quality one at that. this is not a place to skimp. cheap line can lead to frustration which can put a foul taste in your mouth.

I haven't casted an imperial, but i would think they would be a decent rod. As for reel, depending what you are after with the rod, you can go from something perfectly serviceable like an okuma sierra which has a decent enough drag to fight a good sized fish but won't break the bank or upgrade to say an SR2.

so heres the guesstimate:

Rod 150 bucks

Line 55 bucks

Backing Really depends but for sake of argument 5 bucks

Reel: that leaves about 40-90 bucks for a reel.

To me personally I would go with something like a sierra that will catch fish just fine (how many fish you fighting on a 5wt that makes long runs into your backing and many don't even get to the reel) and save you some money for leaders, some flies, maybe a combo tool or something like a fly fishing knot book.

That being said, i know when i was in the fly shop i sold individually bought combos at a rather decent discount for buying everything through our shop and hoping to gain a repeat and happy customer. It may be worth it to visit a local shop and see what you can put together. Some local shops that are run by quality individuals will work with ya and put you in the right direction.

steve

I like st. croix myself so that is the way I'd go. As far as a reel check out the Okuma Intergity large arbor about 73-82 bucks depending on where you get it and spare spools run around 20-25 bucks and you can change them in a matter of seconds. It also comes with the left hand conversion tool. I recently got one in an 8 wt and at the same time picked up a 5 wt sierra. I will be getting the integrity in a 5wt and give the Sierra to my brother in law for Christmas.

I think green caddis has the reel. I'd check there first if you will be ordering on line. But if gc doesn't have it then here is a place to check out.

They'll even set it to left hand if that is needed and put the line and backing on.

http://www.highcountryflyshop.com/okuma_in...ty_flyreel.html

I have no fly shops near me, Internet all the way. How about TFO series 1 or Professional? Any opinions about this TFO combo?

How is Scientific Anglers Air Cel WF line?

Thanks

Actually if your looking at the cheaper route, and since your friend is starting out, that looks like a fine set-up. I know several folks that have both the TFO rods and Sierra reels and love them. I have nothing against the Sierra, I just liked the Integrity better. But someday soon.......it'll be an Angel...... devil.gif

Mozes,

If your interested in any of the Okuma reels or Air Cell line send me a PM or email and I can give you a really good deal + free shipping. The GCO site is down right now but I can give you a quote if your interested. I don't have much in the way of rods but I have heard nothing but great things about TFO and St Croix.

If you go another route with the reel/line, no big deal just thought I would offer. wink.gif

wink.gif Mozes,

Check out this link: http://www.diamondbackflyrods.com/outfits.htm

This is a nice setup. If the new "Americanna" series rods are anything like the "All American" series rods(which probably are the best casting rods for $100 IMHO), then this is a fine beginner rig in your price range. The rods are American made as is cortland 444 line, which is well proven to be slick and durable. The Orvis clearwater combo $225.00 I think is also a good value but their line sucks IMHO. dunno.gif Just a suggestion.

good luck,

A.A.

Mozes,

A friend of mine got a TFO 7 wt., the Lefty Kreh model. It is a sweet rod and if the entry level models from TFO are the same quality, I'd say you can't go wrong with one.