Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Bonker Zonker

First time poster, long time follower.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this pattern. I started tying it a couple of years ago based on your photos, and it has been one of my most productive flies since! I've used it for smallmouth holding 15-20ft deep with a type 3 sinking line and I've used it on floating line to catch trout in reservoirs and rivers. I've caught largemouth bass, channel cats, and large bluegill in shallow ponds when fishing it slow and hopping off the bottom almost like a plastic worm. In short, it has replaced the traditional clouser as my #1 go to confidence fly when I want to fish a streamer. The swimming motion imparted by the clouser style eyes + the movement of the fur is irresistible. I also love that the fly almost never fouls, is nearly weedless, and is one of the quickest ties there is.

I even used it while ice fishing on a jigging rod, while I watched second stationary rod with small jigs/wax worms. Jigging a big fly/lure brings fish in from a long distance, but they usually hit the stationary bait. This fly was awesome for jigging because I could rip it up through the water column and let it sink more slowly than a kastmaster or similar traditional jigging patterns. In addition to the benefit of attracting fish to the stationary rod, sometimes a nice big fish will come and hit the lure/fly you are jigging. On several ice fishing trips, the biggest fish I caught came on this fly! That was the case with this really pretty CutBow:

6833274122_6c8f8d50e0_b.jpg

If you aren't tying this fly already, add it to your boxes because it is a real winner.