Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bodfish

Hello from Ventura County,Southern California

Hello from Ventura County, Southern California

I have been a resident of Thousand Oaks since 1963 and have fished and caught virtually everything that swims from San Diego to Redding.

I love the fly, but spent most of my fishing career catching fish every which other way as well.

I am a mediocre at best, caster but a better than average fisherman.

My favorite quarry are 20"+ Rainbow Trout and Striped Bass.

I am an avid pontoon boater. I have a modified 1993 Buck's Bronco.

I am a tackle freak.

I like tying but I am again mediocre at best at it

I am a big fish, fisherman. I prefer to pursue the biggest and most aggressive fish the majority of the time.

The main reason I have joined this forum is because I am Interested in tying Big Fish flies and need some expert help because I have very specific wants and needs for my flies. I am hoping that the forum members will be willing to help me learn how to tie my Big Fish Flies. NOTE: Big Fish Flies doesn't necessarily mean BIG FLIES. I am more interested in ways of making my flies have more action and appeal.

That being said I am very Interested in the "tube fly".

Are there articulated flies? Articulated or segmented bodies? Hooks?

Techniques for creating motion flies?

Deep sinking flies and techniques?

Can't wait to get started

Thnx bodfish

Welcome Bodfish,

I'm located on the central coast, San Luis Obispo County, in the town of Cambria. I also have a home in Paso Robles. I'm sorry but I'm probably not the guy to give advise on tying flies for big fish. I do make an annual trip to the Williamson River in Oregon and there it's not uncommon to catch Redbands in excess of 20 inches. My biggest so far was 28 inches but I think it was closer to 30. :rolleyes: I fish the Kern River mostly as it's the closest river to me however trout in excess of 20 inches are pretty rare. The largest trout I've caught there was 22 inches, it was a trophy stocker, and it just so happen to have been when I was competing in a tournament put on by the Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Club. If you're interested their web site is http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com. My forum name there is Converted and I'm one of the moderators. Shoot me a pm if I can be of more help to you.

Again, welcome to the forum.