Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fshrmanms

skunked

So sad, first time in many years I have been skunked. The Northwest river in south east Virginia has routinely given me bream catches of 40 to 140 in a day with a few bass thrown in. Seems hurricane Irene washed a lot of decaying swamp matter into the river resulting in a depletion of oxygen in the water. Many fish were killed. Nary a blip on the fish finder. This has also been the case for several rivers in north east North Carolina. Any body have any experience with situations like this? I wonder how long it will take to recover or if it will? This river doesn't really flow except for the wind tides.

Interesting, some guy on the local board was saying this is the best fishing he's had in 20 years due to all the weather and crazy stuff. But hey it happens to the best of us.

mother nature sure throws us a curveball every now and then.......

I have a wild trout stream near the house.........the creek is about 90% different than what it was before Irene.....in the one section, the creek bed has shifted 10 yards or so.....a new channel was cut and it is already filled with rock and looks awesome..........the creek looks almost new......clean........most of the silt and debris that was built up is gone.........

the woods that are adjacent to the stream look sterile..........all the leaf litter and loose debris that was along the stream has been removed.....all you see is bare soil, saplings and trees............it is a clean floor..........but, now the leaves are starting to fall.........so, it is back to looking normal.....

I have seen more mushrooms this year than I have ever seen in before.........found a nice batch Chanterelle mushrooms the other day......my daughter and fried them up with butter and onions.......they were the sweetest, chunkiest mushrooms I have ever eaten........

Oh, the fish !!! I did fish the stream for about 35 minutes the other day--prior to picking the kids up at the bus stop.........I didn't fly fish.....this was a very quick moving RECON trip.........I was tossing a Yozuri Pins Minnow.........couldn't keep the wild trout off it...........so, the fish are still there and in very good numbers.........I have caught 2 Smallmouth bass since Irene--escapee's from a local pond..........

Sad to hear your fishing spot took a beating from Irene..............

post-18624-0-05668000-1316181778_thumb.jpg