Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Leader ?

I've made mono or nylon leaders. Before the tapered leaders became so inexpensive we would make our leaders tying different sizes of mono, ie, 8 lb, then 6 lb then 3. (I used to have a formula for making different wt leaders) I've used straight fluro or mono line as leaders also and did OK. I've tried the Blue Sky fureled leaders but really didn't have much luck with them. I couldn't make them float. I prefer using the store bought tapered leaders because you don't have to tie as many knots (that can come UN-TIED while fishing) and it's much quicker when changing up.

I have never fished for salmon and he knows I tie leaders and asked me if I could make one for his trip. So if I getting this right you just use straight mono or fluo. for a leader. Is that correct?

Kevin

For most of my salmon fishing i attach 8-20lb fluoro straight to my fly, around 6-8ft, for steelhead if i have one i will use a tapered leader, standard 9 ft always fluoro for abrasion resistance, maybe with a section of tippet. Then again i hardly ever nymph, i am usually swinging flies.

If you were to make him one, use fluoro as it sinks, just might be expensive using up so much of that material, i know the frogs hair i buy is $$ so i really try to save as much as i can and not waste any. I was trying to think of an application still, but perhaps to turn over long sections of tippet in clear conditions, and for built in shock resistance.

I agree with FlyFishin'Jam. When I was in the military there was an acronym, which I'm sure you've heard, KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid. I'm not in any way implying that you're lite in the head so please don't interpret this post that way. When I'm fishing I'm so engrossed with picking the perfect spot on the river, matching the hatch, determining my line (sinking vs. floating) leader size, tippet size, fly size, not drowning while wading, etc, etc. It's just so much easier for me to reach into my vest and have a variety of leaders, tippets, flies etc. I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer so keeping everything simply (KISS) is what I'm all about. I'm constantly re-thinking, loop vs. nail knot, weight of butt material, weight of fly (when fishing for big trout or steelhead I never use shot, I depend on the number of wraps of lead wire I put on various flies and I never use bobbers – strike indicators) so I'm pretty much in frantic mode all the time. Using store bought leaders just makes my life much easier. I build my own rods, cork grips, reel seats, and tie my own flies, so I just can't add making my own leaders into the mix. I think it's really cool that fishers do, but I just don't. By the way, what are your thoughts on loop to loop vs. nail knots for tying on your leaders? What wt and length of butt material do you use?

I agree with FlyFishin'Jam. When I was in the military there was an acronym, which I'm sure you've heard, KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid. I'm not in any way implying that you're lite in the head so please don't interpret this post that way. When I'm fishing I'm so engrossed with picking the perfect spot on the river, matching the hatch, determining my line (sinking vs. floating) leader size, tippet size, fly size, not drowning while wading, etc, etc. It's just so much easier for me to reach into my vest and have a variety of leaders, tippets, flies etc. I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer so keeping everything simply (KISS) is what I'm all about. I'm constantly re-thinking, loop vs. nail knot, weight of butt material, weight of fly (when fishing for big trout or steelhead I never use shot, I depend on the number of wraps of lead wire I put on various flies and I never use bobbers – strike indicators) so I'm pretty much in frantic mode all the time. Using store bought leaders just makes my life much easier. I build my own rods, cork grips, reel seats, and tie my own flies, so I just can't add making my own leaders into the mix. I think it's really cool that fishers do, but I just don't. By the way, what are your thoughts on loop to loop vs. nail knots for tying on your leaders? What wt and length of butt material do you use?

That is i feel the essence of fly fishing, finding the perfect pool, getting the perfect drift, presenting the fly...I don't know how many times i have said this but presentation is key, so many times i figure things out on the water and adapt, i am a follower of the KISS principle. I agree with jhunter, i rarely if ever use shot and consider this in my tying repertoire and have flies to eliminate this need, also i do not use indicators. Even if nymphing i have no trouble seeing whats going on, wether its a strike or the bottom. I always feel a bit different but am glad to see some others operate like this! Good stuff! Nice!

Fishing my mind diverts from the stress and hustle bustle of every day life, all of that instantly switches off, i start thinking about how to obtain that perfect drift, the perfect swing, the perfect deep dredge through a pool, i notice whats going on on the banks, what is hatching and how to go about doing it the best way...Sometimes rushed after a strike, i find a zen, a garden for my mind after doing something positive i can build on, knots become rushed, presentation rushed, simplicity is the key!

As far as loop to loop, i cut them off and make my own nail and / or needle knots...

Rarely should fly fishing be this complicated, it won't make a difference...Its all about you and the water and how it speaks to you.