Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Ok, Bass Guys!

There is a little over a month left until the deadline for this year's tying contest. I was able to secure a special prize for the winner of the Bass categories. Champion Outfitters will be giving a St. Croix rod and the winner will be able to choose the length and weight.

As you guys know I am a fellow warmwater enthusiasts so I have special interest in this category and I am hoping for a very impressive collection of flies. I have always considered the contest "all in good fun" so whip up some of your favorites and see how the do.

For more information on the prize visit: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...c=5114&hl=croix

The winner of this rod will be choosen from the winners of the 4 differnet Bass categories. Out of those 4 winners the fly with the most votes for "Best Overall Fly" will be awarded the new St. Croix rod.

For the full details on the contest visit: http://www.flytyingforum.com/contest

Well I wasn't going to enter the FTOY contest, but now.... tongue.gif

I wish work would stop interfering with my fishing-related activities! I can see now that my ThanksGiving weekend will be spent (partly) at the vice!

Tight lines and good luck to my fellow tiers!

Joe C.

Three down, seven more to go!

It's a bummer that there is a dry and streamer category for smallmouth and for largemouth, but no category for nymphs. For smallmouths at least, this is an important segment of flies (actually I consider crayfish flies designed to be "high sticked" more of a nymph than a streamer based on HOW they're fished. A Skip's Dad is definitely not a streamer). I certainly understand the problems with TOO many categories, however.

That said, I narrowed my selection down to the flies I considered to be most challenging to tie rather than most productive on the water (though my entries are certainly fishing flies and not ultra-realistic "show" flies).

Joe C.

Sounds great Joe, can't wait to see em headbang.gif

This year is far better than last year's contest. We only had one category for each species so there was only one Bass category. So every year I will try to improve how the contest works and I will defiently consider expanding some of the species if there is enough interest.