Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Final Statement on Classics

That's it.. although I will be seeing Bill Catherwood this evening and will collar him and ask him to tell me which fly was his first... I will copy it and conclude with 32 flies. As you know Bill pioneered deer hair spinning for saltwater...but Bill was an old freshwater guy and used them for freshwater... his flies are very distinctive and you will be seeing alot of his work as you learn more about this History. I just want you to know that these flies are my opinion , although they are based on research and others also see these as the classic firsts... there are others of course... but I get tired! So... Now on to the current and the new... with recipies and directions. I will also amend the 32 with recipies once I get my typing hand to stop shaking!

stri I must say you did a great job listings these classics and my reading and looking at each fly I honestly am starting to get an idea that the saltwater world is not much different then freshwater. Flies like the Clouser I had no idea was used in the salt and heck I can tie those wink.gif

Your doing a great job here and I'm hoping that people really start to get interested in this section!

Nice job stri. I've been tying saltwater flies for a long time and some on your list are new to me.

We all tend to tie the flies we use and ignore everything else in the fly tying universe. I got tired of tying the usual patterns a couple of years ago and decided to try something different. It rekindled my interest and made me an all around better tyer. Your examples should encourage all of us here in the Forum to try something different.

TB

Thanks for your comments...remember these are the "old" ones and not all are still in use because of the improvements in materials and design. Once we get rolling here you will see some different stuff...Like Trey Combs Sea Habits, Grocery flies, surf candies, Puglisi flies, Hy-ty polar fiber, Super hair sand eels, Crease flies, Sedotti Slammers, to name a few... so stay tuned because there will be more current stuff in the works.