Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uncletube

Bergman Wet fly swap

Thats what I thought , by the way I like the looks of your fly, I dont think you'll have any problem catching anything with it.

By the way my flies are done and I would like to know where to send them.

Looks like we have some early finishers . Anyone that has thier flies done before the deadline and you want to send them in , just PM me and I will send you my addy.

Tube

I've got my blue bottles finished. please pm me your mailing address and I'll have these on their way to you tomorrow.

thanks.

mgj

Hey everyone,

I haven't seen alot of these flies but have been doing some research they're great looking flies. Found a gallery at rareandunusual.com and have decided to try the Ibis and White ( being Canadian eh!) if they don't turn out to my liking because I haven't tried a married wing yet I'll change to the Hoskins or Hudson pattern. Going to get my stuff tomorrow but my new vice doesn't arrive until christmas day (boo hoo hoo). Take a look at the site and let me know if these would be OK.

By the way one of my fellow tyers at the Hamilton area fly fishers and tyers club(hafft.ca) just tied the Fontinalis fin and they look gorgeous i just don't think that I'm up to a three piece married wing yet.

See you later

Jon

Jon,

Married wings believe it or not aren't that bad. I have be doing some experimenting with it and they aren't much harder than doing a regular quill wing.

I have been using goose shoulders for the wing material . They marry nicely and come in a large range of colours. Good luck with your flies.

Tube blink.gif

Thanks tube,

I just picked up a bunch of materials at Grindstone Angling in waterdown, Ontario and the owner John gave me a quick crash course. Hope it still goes as easy as he made it look but should be Ok. Still waiting for the new vice come on Santa.

See Ya

Jon

QUOTE (uncletube @ Nov 30 2004, 11:53 PM)
Ray Bergman's book " Trout" Tube blink.gif

I have never read this book but am very interested,does it have an ISBN number so I can order it?

Daryn,

The book has been reprinted several times , the copy I have borrowed from Dave was printed in 1976 here are the ISBN number and library of Congress card number:

"Trout" Ray Bergman author Alfred A. Knopf publisher

ISBN 0-394-49957-3

Library of Congress Card Number 75-10592

You shouldn't have too hard of time finding it . It is still widely read .

Tube blink.gif

I finally finished my contest flies, so now I can concentrate on this swap. I've decided to tie a Scarlet Ibis, I have found a source for Ibis feathers, but they're too expensive so you'll have to accept Goose for the wings.

Hey thats alright with me TB . What I expect from the swap is for the swappers to do their favorite old wet fly pattern. I used Bergman as a refrence point in time and being a tier myself I like the old traditional stuff, but in the same light, I also understand that it is not always possible or cost effective to be " Politically correct " as far as rare or exspensive materials are concerned. I am familiar with your work and I am very sure that your version of the Scarlet Ibis will be more than acceptable.

Tight Lines,

Tube blink.gif

I'm tying a Bergman fly named the "Admiral". It's a red floss body with a gold rib red tail and red throat hackle and a white wing. Found it in a book called "Forgotten Flies" Full of flies you never heard of. Really heavy reading book weighs about 20 lbs I Think.

Mike,

I am familiar with the book and one day when my finances allow, I plan on owning one. Very good resource for the old stuff . Another good resource as far as history on flies is one written by Mary Orvis Marbury titled " Favorite flies and their history"

Published first in 1892 by Houghton Mifflin

Although the book doesn't have many instructions on tying, The colour plates and histories make it a great addition to any tiers data base.

I am looking forward to seeing your version of the "Admiral".

Tight lines and Happy Holidaze.

Tube blink.gif

I hope this fly will be acceptable for this swap

it's my version of the Lead wing Coachman in size 14

(PM me your address)

OSD.

user posted image