Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CaddiChucker

Aluminum Foil for 'wing Burners'?

Anyone use a double (thin plastic) wing and (home made) wing burners to burn the wings together (so they trap air and float, extra strength, etc)?

I have some aluminum sheet stuff, (about 1mm) but I was thinking even a few layers of thick Aluminum foil might do it. Its to protect the center from heat.

Also, what is a good source cellophane/plastic for insect wings you've found?

Ok, well -I just grabbed this from that Swedish guy who is doing Mayflys etc. - Seems like a sound technique. This is just envelope window, double over, ink on inside, and you 'burn' the outside extra plastic off to fit the wingburner metal (in this case aluminium foil 5x folded) The little clamp secures it so the burn does not damage the wing. I'll be doing a damsel/dragonfly example of this soon.

Anyone have a good source for other wing plastics?

post-41802-0-97474900-1329506061_thumb.jpg

use Duralar acetate in various thicknesses for most of my wings. It scribes well and takes color well. It can also be printed through a home printer

Hope this helps

Mike

use Duralar acetate in various thicknesses for most of my wings. It scribes well and takes color well. It can also be printed through a home printer

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks Mike, a printable would be nice, but I have an old Laser printer. I think engraving/scribing is the way to go, then go over with a light brush load of paint/thinner, then wipe it off. The aluminium wing burner works great, but it will burn exactly to outline, not worked that out yet. Burning even one layer wings gives them alot more support structure. Maybe a soda can, and use a file to get the outline exact, maybe engraving in the can would transfer to the wing also when burned (as a positive though)