Fly Tying
chazg

copper wire size

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good weekend. I am going to broaden my horizon and attempt to start tying some copper johns and pheasant tail nymphs, over the weekend I was going to order materials to start tying some of these patterns, but I ran into a sanfu. I noticed their are 4 different sizes of copper wire available and unsure what size to purchase, I'm going to be tying these patterns on size 14 and 12 hooks, could someone point me in the right direction on the correct size copper wire to purchase thanks.

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good weekend. I am going to broaden my horizon and attempt to start tying some copper johns and pheasant tail nymphs, over the weekend I was going to order materials to start tying some of these patterns, but I ran into a sanfu. I noticed their are 4 different sizes of copper wire available and unsure what size to purchase, I'm going to be tying these patterns on size 14 and 12 hooks, could someone point me in the right direction on the correct size copper wire to purchase thanks.

Buy Brassie or Medium, The majority of my purchases have been in size brassie. I feel its best especially if you're going to do more than one color on your copper johns like gold and red for example.

Agreed on the Brassie size. I would, however, offer another tidbit of advice: Get all colors. http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/TW-025613-0000/62000/Wapsi-Ultra-Wire-Brassie-Size.html

$25 probably won't break the bank, but then you'll be set for life. I ended up doing that for all sizes and I LOVE having wire for every color and size situation I will ever need. Of course, I'm a little OCD in that respect, but just FWIW...