Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
beltdrive

Hello from Idaho!

Hello-

I signup up last week, but just now getting around to saying something. I've only been flyfishing for about 1 year and almost immediately started tying my own flies. Nothing like fishing with your own creation and getting a nice trout.

I have a Hobie Kayak and do a mix of fly fishing and spincast. I like this forum because of the depth of knowledge out there and the great fly patterns I see. I also like the various picts of fly tying workbenches out there. I'm currently working out of some boxes I haul out and set aroung the kitchen table with a $14 vise that is starting to wear out.

can't wait for the sub-zero temps to go away and bring on some decent fishing weather. Too much fishing to do and not enough weekend time.

This summer I'm looking to do some tent camping / fishing with my harley. I'll let you know how that goes.....

See you on the river

beltdrive

-aka-

dennis

Hi Peter-

I'm in Boise...... Local fly fishing club is hosting a fly fishing expo this weekend. I'm planning on going and checking out the latest flies and demo's.

We lived in Boise as well - 1989, 90, and 91. My wife and I worked at the Statesman. We had a lot of fun fishing the South Fork, Silver Creek, etc. We also went up to Kelly Creek (off the Clearwater) a few times to fish for cutts. I've got an eight-pound brown on the wall over my tying desk that I caught right in town in back of the Fish & Game building during a January snowstorm. One of the clubs used to spawn browns in a small creek and they'd grow up wild in the river. There were some real monsters in there back then - very difficult to catch. There were some great tyers out there - I learned a lot from them while we were in Idaho. Dave Tucker comes to mind - that man is a world-class tyer.

I'm just starting out with the flyfishing, so now I'm looking at all these rivers and I can't wait to get out there. Most of my fishing has been from the bank or out of a kayak. I found out last sprint on Stanley lake I can flyfish from the Kayak. I used various nymphs and a leech pattern and had a ball.

I have not fished the Boise river in town for several years. I need to get back down there and try again..

The Boise River used to be a great place for a few hours fishing in the winter, when the water was low and there was nobody around. There were always a few stockers around, plus the occasional wild brown. Wooly buggers, zonkers, and muddlers did very well. They also stocked steelhead back then, and that was fun. Cape Horn Lake up near Stanley was a nice place to fish from a kayak or canoe. That was one of the few places I found out that way where there were a lot of brook trout. The fish weren't huge, but it was an enjoyable place to fish.