Fly Tying
JoeBillingsley

Nature's Spirit Snowshoe Rabbit Dubbing

Does anybody use this? Is it as buoyant as it seems like it would be? I saw a great FlyFishFood stonefly video where Cheech uses it but he didn't have a whole lot to say about it other than "it is a pretty buoyant dubbing." It was the first I'd seen of it. It should be very buggy looking but I was wondering about how well it floats.

Joe

Does anybody use this? Is it as buoyant as it seems like it would be? I saw a great FlyFishFood stonefly video where Cheech uses it but he didn't have a whole lot to say about it other than "it is a pretty buoyant dubbing." It was the first I'd seen of it. It should be very buggy looking but I was wondering about how well it floats.

Joe

I'll expound a bit more on that... This stuff works well on nymphs too because it dubs fairly tight with the appropriate amount of guard hairs mixed in. I was somewhat skeptical when I put it on a dry fly because it reminded me of hare's ear dubbing quite a bit, but that bullet head application really floated great. Also, I use dry fly floatant regardless of the fly being fished so that helps as well;) Loon Lochsa is one of the best dry fly floatants that I have ever used. A bit spendy, but it works for every application including foam and CDC.

The other application in which I used it was the Klinkhamer variant pattern that I did. Before fishing that fly, I treat the parachute with floatant, and saturate the body with water. It rode great.

In all, I really think this dubbing can be used for either dry flies or nymphs depending on how you engineer the fly.

Thanks, Cheech.

I read where it has hare's ear mixed with the snowshoe rabbit. I thought it might be better suited for nymphs when I saw that. Are the colors pretty good?

So.....apparently it will soak up water unless treated? I'm sure it would for me. I can sink foam.

Joe

Thanks, Cheech.

I read where it has hare's ear mixed with the snowshoe rabbit. I thought it might be better suited for nymphs when I saw that. Are the colors pretty good?

So.....apparently it will soak up water unless treated? I'm sure it would for me. I can sink foam.

Joe

I'd say treat it always. That being said, it really rode higher than average. Colors are the strong point of Nature's Spirit, and there are more colors of the stuff than I can even think about using!

Unh...Snowshoe Hare dubbing...from the foot, is the basis of this pattern, which is a classic and it floats like a cork. I have not tried the Nature's Spirit product because I have a ton of the real deal ...

PT/TB

Unh...Snowshoe Hare dubbing...from the foot, is the basis of this pattern, which is a classic and it floats like a cork. I have not tried the Nature's Spirit product because I have a ton of the real deal ...

PT/TB

The benefit is all the colors that it comes in. Great stuff.

Never heard of it. Cheech sells the stuff, so not surprised about his opinion. Have a lot of the original material, 'on the hoof' so to speak, with enough colors to keep me happy. Might play with it one of these days if I ever see it in person, but the last thing I need is yet-another-pack-of-dubbing...

Never heard of it. Cheech sells the stuff, so not surprised about his opinion. Have a lot of the original material, 'on the hoof' so to speak, with enough colors to keep me happy. Might play with it one of these days if I ever see it in person, but the last thing I need is yet-another-pack-of-dubbing...

Yep, we sell it... Along with many many other types of dub. Is this better than other stuff? Who knows or cares. The OP was just mentioning a comment that I made so I clarified. The stuff on the hoof is great and I use it a lot too.

Not a problem, Cheech. Post came out harsher than intended, so sorry.

Not a big deal at all... I absolutely don't want to come off as a salesman!

Well.....you sold me, Cheech! I'm ordering some from you this afternoon to give it a try.

Joe

ha ha... this made me laugh.

PT/TB

The benefit is all the colors that it comes in. Great stuff.

I picked up two pkgs., in different colors from Bob Marriotts yesterday...I will be using it for a Flav emerger I will be tying next...

PT/TB

I love tying with snowshoe! It's very buggy looking. Ties well for nymphs, and especially dries! The usual (as posted above) is my go-to dry fly. I can't think of the site, but if you google "snowshoe rabbits foot" there is a place that sells very good quality feet in many different colors. Great material!