Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Olive Grizzly Bass Seaducer

Nice tie. Do you find the prongs for weedguards lose many fish? I've been using loops of maxima 20# and find that my hookup percentage goes way down when using them.

John, I'm sure I've lost a few because of the weed guards, but most are smaller fish. I use big flies, and when a good fish grabs the fly they usually hook themselves. Because this type fly is best around debris & structure, a weed guard is a necessity, however I've come to like the 2 prong types much better than the single loop. I push the 2 prong to where they're almost at 90 degrees to the hook shank and bend the ends back. This way the guard pushes the fly away from objects, but when a fish grabs the fly the guards are easily "crushed" down to allow the hook to grab. There is also a space between the hook & the guards so if the fish strikes a little short often times they'll be lip hooked unless they miss the hook completely. I've had much better success with the 2 prong than with the single loop & lose less flies too.

I started using the 2 prong type because a lot of the guides I tied for who fished for Redfish, Seatrout & Bonefish all prefered that type, and much of the tidal bass waters I fish are very similar to the waters they fish as far as the grass & such go.

The waters I fish have a lot of downed wood, pads & overhanging branches, plus some bridges, piers & rock structures.

I prefer not to use a guard and will remove them if I can just fish the edges around structure without snagging, but that's not always the case. wink.gif

John, It's not my idea, I learned it from some of the guides I used to tie for, and from something Lefty Kreh wrote about weed guards. I used the single loop guards for a long time on my bass flies, but have switched to this type on just about any type fly that needs a guard. These just seem to work better & still allow me to hook some fish!