Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sean Juan

On More Reason to love Circle hooks

Well I'm sitting at my bench cranking out flies when the dog comes by for some attention. She's a 2 year old Golden Retriever - now having grown up in a family where we always had dogs and they were always male German Shepherds I must say it took a while to get attached to this very loving but very stupid animal. She even managed to give me a concussion because I was installing a new dishwasher and I had the plumber's but going (hey its tradition) she comes around and licks my ass I shoot straight up and smash my skull into the sink -- when I come to she's licking the bottoms of my feet.

I'm tying she's nudging my arm. Two more wraps 5 more nudges. The dog is a crack-whore when it comes to attention she is the canine equivalent of Courtney Love. I finally tell her to scram and she looks at me with those sad eyes I've grown accustomed to ignoring.

Then she starts hacking and coughing - which isn't uncommon for a dog with the one two punch of licking everything and shedding on everything - but it sounds different.

Then just a flash of pearl flash-a-bou down her throat. I know exactly what it is an 11" yak hair fly I tied moments ago.

I tackle the dog and reach down her throat - luckily I'm able to get a few strands of the yak hair around my middle finger and pull the fly slowly out - dreading what I'll do if the hook is caught. The whole thing comes out easily - yak hair flash-a-bou and the size 8/0 Circle hook it was tied to - Nice to know first hand they perform as advertised.