Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nedbm3

Painting eyes on streamers

I don't think it matters on smallheads on streamers. on large heads on bass bugs, i think it matters . I think they look better.

John

It seams to me it matter on a lot of flies i tie. Epecially thunder creeks and sculpin patterns. I fish a lot for bows and dollies during the smolt migration and a thunder creek with eyes seems to do better than one without. Same with sculpins wher a big pair of eyes seem to entice the rainbows if fish for whether it's on kodiak or some other part of the state.

I am like Kodiak, I really think that it makes a difference with eyes on streamers. I also paint eyes on all my Thunder Creeks and my bullethead muddlers in which the head is shaped like a Thunder Creek. What I do is to put FlexCement on the head portion of the fly. Let that dry and then paint an eye with with usually a white background and a black pupil but have tried other various combinations. Not only do I thinks it helps in fishing purposes but I think that it looks nicer and thus fish it with more confidence.

Bob

There are a number of very good natural paints for eyes; I use jungle fowl, starling, guinnea, etc. No problem with drying time, build up or smelly stuff on your fly...did I really say that? Oh well, been a long summer down here, looking forward to getting home to Michigan in a couple of weeks.