Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Carp fishing

Yes, I have caught carp on dries. They cloop during cottonwood seed falls and you can often find them under mulberry trees. They will take damselflies and mayflies(dead or alive). Its a hell or a rush, although timing is super key in hooking a sucker mouth on the surface, it takes a lot of practice.

HDS

What size hook do you like to use when fishing for carp? I know that they have small mouths and when fishing with them with big spinning gear I use maybe a 2/0 hook, so what size for fly fishing?

wow a 2/0 hook?? I guess when I was 10 years old I would fish em with a 6/0 loaded with corn, but that was on my home waters, a shallow muudy farm lake where the water would boil with them, commons, goldfish, and many mirrors. These days I only go bigger than a size 6 if I have to and weight is non-existant. As far as fly rodding for them on a dry, it depends on the fly you are throwing. If is is a cottonwood seed or grass fly 16-24, nymphs standard around size 16 and dries from 10-16, depening on what kind of bugs are in the air and the temps of both the water and the air. I guess generally speaking a 12 would work, in a royal wulff pattern is you are sight fishing for cloopers, but here on the ole miss, SE Minn, during the white mayfly hatch it is gerally a size 18 and during the fish fly hatch a 14. It all depends. I have yet to get the balls and use a fly hook with a signle nugget of corn on it when spin fishing, but I have to sort out monofilament issues and rocks first.

Hope this helps.

HDS

ph34r.gif fish like a ninja.

HDS, don't know if we're on the same page here. When I said 2/0 hooks, I was talking about fishing with spinning gear. Down here in GA, the carp have the tiniest lips you have ever seen, not too much bigger than that of a grown crappie. I don't think there's any way that a 6/0 hook could get them, but you have to remember, I'm only 16 and don't know that much about fishing, so I don't know too much, I might be wrong, Redneck.

That is a normal sized mouth for carp. They are small. Try smaller hooks. And If corn fishing throw out a couple of chum handfuls to bring em in. let em take lots of line before popping them and if you are gonna use weight make sure you use the smallest split shot you can find in front of a slip style sinker, like an egg sinker.

hds

I've used corn before and caught a lot of little ones, but there's a few home made baits that I use that seem to catch a lot of the big ones, my biggest being 45 lbs. I like using these baits too cause when you mix it up you have a few days worth of bait, all the more reason to stay at the lake for the whole weekend, LOL. A buddy of mine just told be of this other great bait that he used to use a lot that's really cheap to make, all you need other than the bait is one of them long weighted bobbers, not too expensive.