Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
redneckshadrap

How many Flies Do You Tie In a Season

I've probably tied close to 400 this past year and still going. Now I just have to get more hooks. You don't realise how many you go through for just fly swaps.

Fatman

Well, if you want to factor in jigs with flies. I'm hitting about 9,000 flies per year. Luckily, that's averaged out. Some days I'm only cranking about a couple dozen. Then some days I'm doing several dozen. Then some days I have off. Normally, I only tie about half that. But I took on quite a few more clients since I'm home injured. But once I'm back to work, not sure what I'll do.

Every year I buy a new box with the sole intention of filling it up over the winter.

Last years box held 250 flies. And if the fishing was good and the casting was bad, add another 200 flies.

I also tye for a shop and a couple of clients. Mostly Great lake steelhead patterns, some trout pattern mixed in was spring rolls around. Most client orders are for 4 to 6 dozen flies. The shop is not a fly shop so the orders are not huge. I stop by and see what they need and go home and tye it.

So with all that said. I'd say about 2000 in a years time. This year it will be down. I lost a month to a broken finger.

I usually start Tarpon season with about 10 doz., and then continue to tie a couple of dozen during those three months. We go thru alot of flies during night fishing for snook, and that's at least 3 more months, problably 6 dozen., Redfish and trout another 6 dozen and oh, Steelhead 10 dozen.

Wow, that's more than I thought, over 400 a year.

Too many.

Considering I'm here in Michigan where we have Steelhead, Salmon and Trout you have to have few. Then you need your wets, dry's and nymphs. Don't forget streamers. You pretty much use different flies for each species and even if you use the same pattern for two of them you use different hoods. A TMC100 just isn't going to stay bent for a steelie or salmon.

Last year I didn't tie many and found myself trying to get a few together every time I went fishing. I'm trying to get ahead this winter and have tied a 100 or so in the last month.

I currently tie in the region of 500 flies per year. It really depends on how many times I fish and the amount of flies that get ripped to shreds on the outings.

laugh.gif

Let's see I lose an average of 15 smallies flies per float, 5 miles per float and 235 miles this past year so that makes for 705 flies. for smallies.

Trout 300.

Experiments 100

Total 1105 flies.

I better not let the wife see how much I saved

Dave