Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tightlines

Emergence Behavior

Im curious if people have know of a website that will describe the emergence behavior of different types of nymphs. I understand that some nymphs crawl from their shucks underwater and rise to the top, others rise to the top and crawl out onto the surface and others make there way to rocks and crawl out and fly from there. Do all swimming nymphs emerge the same and all clingers emerge the same.

I want to be best prepared for next year by understanding the emergence process for the nymphs in my local river.

thanks for any feedback

I have not seen a comprehensive list of emergence behavior online.

I would suggest 2 books; Selective Trout by Dave Swisher and Carl Richards, it explains the emergence sequence of Mayflies, Stoneflies and Caddis and includes emergence charts for all areas of the country. The 2nd is Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine, A must read for those who fish waters inhabited by Caddis (that would be everybody).

QUOTE (tightlines @ Nov 23 2004, 05:35 PM)
Im curious if people have know of a website that will describe the emergence behavior of different types of nymphs. I understand that some nymphs crawl from their shucks underwater and rise to the top, others rise to the top and crawl out onto the surface and others make there way to rocks and crawl out and fly from there. Do all swimming nymphs emerge the same and all clingers emerge the same.

I want to be best prepared for next year by understanding the emergence process for the nymphs in my local river.

thanks for any feedback

tightlines-

Aquatic insect immatures with incomplete metamorphosis are commonly referred to as nymphs. These include mayflies, stoneflies, damselflies, dragonflies, and waterbugs.

Aquatic insect immatures with complete metamorphosis are commonly referred to as larvae and pupae. These include alderflies, dobsonflies, beetles, moths, caddisflies, and true flies.

The stream insects of most interest to fly fishers are mayflies, caddisflies, and stoneflies. Among them, mayfly nymphs and caddisfly pupae most often emerge from their shucks at (or rarely near) the water surface, and stonefly nymphs crawl up on rocks or shore to emerge, but there are exceptions to this gross generalization. Hope this helps.