Fly Tying

Speaking of Ribbing tips

Orvis and a few other companies sell a "glitter ribbing". Mostly for salmon and steelhead applications. But is a ribbing with a thin mylar tinsel center. Comes in green and purple usually. Go to any Michaels craft store, and you can buy them on bulk spools for about $3 (you get a couple hundred feet for same price you get about 20 feet from a flyshop). Plus, you can also buy glow in the dark ribbing as well. Works great, and makes a great "flashy" body for your flies. We use the glow in the dark a bit for those rivers you can fish at night on. Hit with a light source and cast away (goes well with glo in the dark flashabou).

Thank you, that was a great tip. I was at Michaels yesterday picking up some plastic leaves and a shadow box frame for Skunked, sure wish I had seen the glow in the dark and sparkle ribbing, next time.

I'll take some pictures of the stuff I have and post it later. Great stuff. Funny thing of all, was in a flyshop a year after I had bought the stuff at Michaels. Sure enough, I was in the ribbing area and Orvis had same EXACT stuff packaged up. It's not as flexible as standard ribbing (of course with that mylar in the middle) but works great for salmon and steelhead flies.