Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Tip of the Day for Aug 13, 2003

Like most of America, I am just a blue collar working stiff. I work in a industrial factory, and with safety being my number one concern, I use earplugs. You know the ones, the foam plugs that you squeeze into you ears? Well, they are excellent popper bodies.

Just simply take a sharp blade( razor, Exacto, etc) and slit the plug its entire length. Use a little SuperGlue or other CA adhesive, and attach it to the hook. Dress the fly to suit your own design.

Another way is to insert a blunted neddle ( tapestry or darning needle) directly through the center of the foam. Next, make several wraps of thread on the hook shank an whip finish. Now comes the tricky part. Cement the thread with CA adhesive and push the foam onto the hook via the hole you created with the neeedle. You have to act FAST as the cement will start to dry IMMEDIATELY!!! This makes for an almost indestructable popper assembly. Poppers are great panfish and bass flies. There are easy to tie and cheap to reproduce. Use a needle to thread through some rubber legs and BOOM!!!....automatic fish catcher!!

another thought is to color some of those ear plugs with permanent markers, and then put the hole right down the middle. instead of crazy gluing the popper onto the hook, just push it over the thread wrapped around the shank. it should fit very snug, and now you can change the popper as much as you like.

great suggestion doyle...would allow you to make modifications stream side if you wished...GOOD WORK!!!

Sign in to follow this