Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Salmon flies...

I am pretty new to the salmon/fly fishing scene. Can someone please tell me what flies I should be taking with me for a salmon trip in a couple of weeks? I am going to be fishing the PM in Michigan... I have some Glo Bugs (various colors), ESL's,a few stoneflies, and a few double egg & sperm. What do I need to complete my selection? After looking at some of these flies, I think I am going to have to put a razor to them and start over...

Thanks

Sounds like you pretty much got it covered! We have actually only tied glo-bugs and PM Wigglers. We are bring the vise with us in case another fly is doing good we can tie it in the evenings. Only a week and a half away!!!

I think I would at least have a few Popsickles these work when the fish seem to have lockjaw

I can remember one time when a male came half way across the river to hammer one I was using

I think the colors just pissed him off (a nice Hot pink and purple)

OSD.

OSD, the Popsicle? Is that tied up with a schlappen (sp?)hackle? I'm not familiar with that fly... Is the hackle palmered around the hook? Do you just let them drift through the holes or strip them ?

Thanks!!

A true popsicle is made from marabou. Great Alaskan salmon fly that spread east fast. It's conflicting, but you can stack on hook, or palmer. Your choice.

Steelheader69 is right marabou stacked on the hook from back to front with pink in back and purple up front.

I always finish the fly with a purple saddle hackle collar to gives it a little more bulk.

OSD.

SH,

Been doing some reading on alternative flies to catch big Smallies. The Bomber patterns that were used primarily for salmon for years come highly recommeded for bronzebacks as well. Before you head up to the PM, tie a few bombers like the one I sent Leaky and see if have any luck. They are real easy to tie, and allow for a little creativity as well.

super easy....all it is is spun deer hair and a hackle....even Helen Keller could manage that!! LOL! Are we going to have to have lessons when I get up there?

You can, but I don't

I think the flys drift is effected by adding weight to the fly.

I use some weight on the leader line but its ones own discresstion.

OSD.

I have been looking at several instructions for tying the maribou (palmering) style Popsicle or spey flies. Where do I start wrapping the maribou, about 2/3 behind the eye?

Thanks

I use standard salmon steelhead hooks. Best thing to do is to tie on bigger hooks if you want weight. What I like to do is toss them on sinktips, and let them float in the current.