Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Black long thin flying insect

I found this long black flying thin bodied insect. The head and thorax is about 1 cm long. The wings are about 1.5 cm and have a brownish hue, with dark veins.

There are two long fine antenna, about 2cm long. There are three sets of legs, each with three segments each,similar two a bee or wasp.

Now for the amazing part, the body/tail is about 5 cm long it has 6 segments, all about a cm long with the last one being about 2mm. The body/tail is very thin.

I have seen them flying around this summer, there body/tail hangs below the fly looking like two mating insects. My freind says its a type of dragonfly. I cant see it, I think it is some type of wasp. I can not find it in any of the books I have. I am about to do a google search on wasps, and thought that I should ask here and share this wild looking insect.

daryn, theyve been around here too, and alot of them, they dont seem too agressive untill you try and catch one, my neighbor and i were having a coupla beers in the backyard, and one flew by, of course he has to catch one...he also got stung or bit in the back while running away, the welt swelled out to 3-4 inches, and looked nasty, kind of a yellowish colour. he said it felt like someone hit him with a baseball bat

Exactly Taxon, thanks. I new it was some sort of wasp.

I have seen alot off them this year, flying arround very docile like. Im glad you let me know that they pack a mighty punch, Thanks ! The one I found was laying on the ground half dead. Ill have to keep that in mind and let peolple know not to mess with them.