Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Spinners?

Just doing a little surfing and ran across a fly that has a spinner on it. I've seen them before but I was wonder if any of you guys ever tied a fly with a spinner?

Here's a photo of a fly with a spinner

user posted image

Nope, that's where I'll draw the line is adding spinners. I do tie flies on siwash hooks and add them to real full sized spinners for gear fishing. I'm very open minded when it comes to flyfishing, but I have to say that's one of the things I strongly disagree with. It does add flare and such, but at same time it use something other then the fly to attract the fish. Some fish will focus on the "wop wop wop" or "tick tick tick" of the spinner moving and hit. So the tie isn't as important as the noise the blade makes.

But like I've said, I've tied something like it, but for tossing with a gear rod.

I'm not as traditonal as Steelheader69, and I've played with spinners & props on flies. I tie a fly now that has a spinner on the bottom like a Coyote style fly, but it's been many years since I've used a prop on a fly.

I say use whatever works for you! I have my limits also, but don't mind experimenting!

At one time there were several spinner flies being produced commercially that had spinners or props on the hook shank. I think B-17 had some with spinners on them a few years ago, but I haven't seen that brand recently, and don't know if they're still in business or not.

There have been some spinners produced with flies as part of the design that have been very successful, but they're intended for use with spinning tackle or baitcasting tackle as Steelheader69 indicated!

I'm not truly against it. But I gear fish already, making my own spinners in fact. But, I flyfish, and tie, to get away from hardware. So only reason I scoff at it. If you flyfish only, I guess it's a good thing to switch up. But myself, I try to keep them seperated.

You wouldn't believe one of the patterns that I tie its a Streamer with tail made from a fake Lee's fingernail tied on the back of the hook with some light mono.

It has good action in the retrieve with the curved nail it looks like a wonded minnow. I call it the (Lees streamer)

You should the dirty looks I get from the purests when I show them the fly that i am catching all the fish with. LOL

OSD

I have seen a fly around that is a wooly bugger with a prop on the head, it was called a pistol pete. I thought about trying something like it, but i thought it might spin the fly if it wasn't heavy enough. Has anyone seen this happen? I have really wanted to try some of those coyote style ones for bass thought. It took me a while to figure that was a play on words with the spinng gear's Blakemore roadrunner!!!

tight lines

Dan