Fly Tying
vince

advice please-tarsus claws

having a real hard time getting a realistic look on my nymph legs ( tarsus and claws ). I have been using Japanese nymph leg material for my legs ...any help ??

have a good day, vince

Hey Vince

Creating a realistic leg is extremely difficult but, creating six realistic legs is even more difficult! If the Femur, Tibia and Tarsal proportions are just slightly out then the finished fly often looks a mess. Like you, I use Japanese Nymph Legs as the base to all of my flies regardless of whether they are realistic fishing flies or Art flies.

The image that I use has been uploaded to this sites “Fly Pattern Database”, the image title is “Stonefly Nymph Proportions” I use it to determine the length of each leg section, I photocopy the image and reduce it to the size of the Nymph I am tying, whilst this seems a little time consuming, it does not take long before the basic leg proportions are committed to memory. When shaping the Jap Legs; I use the tips of my tying scissors in a calliper type fashion; the tips of the scissors can be placed against the illustration and the distance between the tips adjusted so that the leg dimensions in the illustration can be accurately measured and the information transferred to the Nymph I am tying. I also have a second scale in my files, if you need more info. Please email me and I will send it to you.

With the legs bent accurately to shape, I then bind the legs with 2mm strips of moistened Raffene paying particular attention to the leg proportions of the Natural. I would apply a coat of matt varnish to finish each leg off.

The end of each leg section can be particularly difficult to reproduce. Quite often in the Natural Nymph (and Adult), there is a definite “start and finish” to each leg section. If you look at the ‘Perlodes Nymph’ shown below, there is little definition between leg sections but this is so on the Natural.

The leg sections of Pteronarcys californica, the Salmonfly; are more defined and to achieve this definition I often use Goose Biots. The Biot tapers to a perfect leg shaped point. I tie this point in at the “beginning” of the leg section with the Biot lay on top of the Japanese leg shaft. Then I begin wrapping the leg with a Raffene strip . . . as detailed earlier and, binding the Biot down as I progress along the Jap Leg shaft. Once that leg section is completely bound, a small but ‘thick ended’ section of the Biot will still be hanging over the end so . . . just trim to length!

Leg hair extends along the rear edge of each of the 3 leg sections. I use an Ostrich Herl stripped along one side for the leg hair. Using a clear 17/0 tying thread (spider web is pretty good), tie one end of the Herl in at the junction of the Coxa and Trochanter (shoulder) point and then lay the Herl along the back of the leg. Tie the Herl off at the end of the leg section and underneath of the Biot. Repeat the same process along the Tibia.

Whilst leg hair is present on the Tarsal leg section, it would be near impossible (at least for now) to find a fine enough section of natural hair to replicate this. Far better to leave it out altogether!!

I find the Tarsal claws to be a nightmare in fact; they are a huge nightmare!! On smaller Nymphs and Adults, I use varnished Uni 8/0 for the claws but on the larger bugs, I will use shaved mono. Bend the claws to shape and then, when you are sure they are in the exact position; place a tiny drop of varnish onto the claw. The varnish will quickly spread towards the end of the Tarsus and in doing so, create a neat, overall tapered shape to each of the claws.

To originally figure it all out; I used to practice tie just one (fairly large) leg in the vice. This would help me to understand proportions and applications, how to do this or that etc. when I was confident enough; I could tackle the actual fly.

Have fun

Best regards

Paul

post-49-1109639894.jpg

Paul

thank you. It has been a long winter practicing the approach you have outlined, and I am now satisfied with my results ( binding the femur with raffene required lots and lots of trial and error, same with achieving the "jointed" look , but I finally got it) My problem is the tarsal segment and the claws...I just can not get a good look, aka your Pteronarcys californica.......I guess I will just keep practicing.

take care..vince

Hi Vince, I’m sure hoping to see pictures of your work, sounds like you’re very much into super-realism. I think Paul, besides being tremendously talented, is a natural showman, he gives a lot and always leave people wanting more. I’m really looking forward to seeing your work and really looking forward to Paul’s book.

Graham