Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

the only "must have" fly

Ask anyone what their favorite go to fly is and you will inevitably get a million different answers from a million different people. WEll, devoted followers of BDH, I'm here to tell you that there is one and only one fly that EVERY fly box should have. Of course for you veteran trout fishermen, you already know that I am talking about the Hare's Ear Nymph.

This generic little fly will produce fish when nothing else will. I heard this theory many years ago and have tested it many many times, and have found that it is true. Even the most selective trout will hit a hare's Ear when no other fly is producing any strikes. Now, I am sure that I will get many messages and e-mails telling me that I am wrong, but I am not...and since this is my pet forum......you gotta suck it up and read it!!!!! LOL...but seriously, always have a few of these great nymphs in your box and I can gaurantee with almost undeniable certainty that you will not have a fishless day.

BDH also claims you can add an earring to your hare's ear just to add that touch of flash that make the fish go crazy laugh.gif

only if its a 6 guage like the two in my ******..Who's the "girly" man, now, punk?! devil.gif

I don't know Big Daddy, I just can't see using a Hare's Ear Nymph for Stripers or Tarpon or Albies! thumbdown.gif rolleyes.gif

But I do have a few in my fly boxes! thumbsup.gif

Guest 69

maybe he was talking about trout...since that is the really the only fish worth fishing for....

don't know about trout being THAT fabulous, but yes, I was talking trout....maybe should have clarified that, Jim.....how's that lil' gal of yours (wink, wink)

Hub, you didn't specify that you were talking about trout flies! I'll certainly agree with you about that and I'll add that it's also a great fly tied in various colors! I favor olive or black!

My little girl is doing just fine! Thanks for asking, and no you can't meet her!

"69" it's OK with me if you only fish for trout, that means you're not in my way when I fish for other species! I learned a long time ago that being narrow minded means you miss out on a lot of things.

sic 'im, Jim, sic 'im!!!!!

and why can't I meet her...Jim, I'm a really nice guy....REALLY nice!!! devil.gif

OSD, now that's a good looking fly! headbang.gif

Hub, because when it comes to my daughter, I'm NOT!

O, thanks for the pic...really gotta learn how to do that!!!

Jim, I really am a nice guy...just ask my minister! He should be out on parole by Christmas!! devil.gif

I am glad someone specified trout.I thought it was a maxi with wings with ear ring tongue.gif bugeyes.gif .Bye the way that is nice fly.

you fellas are forgetting one thing.....my lisiting is administration......sure would hate to shut yopu down!!!! j_k.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Don't get 69 confused with me. I would never say trout is only fish worth fishing. Now, chum and the likes appeal to me. Actually, if I could get a sturgeon to hit a fly wihout doping it up, I may give it a go. Hmmmm. Not sure how I'll go about doing it. A small sturgeon will beat up a rod that a big king will. Plus have some hardcore acrobatics.

Hmmmmm, may have to figure that out next year. LOL. My Dad's and mine yearly salmon trips are turning more into sturgeon trips.

Sign in to follow this