Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Keeping it all straight...for the newbies, again

I have the privilegde of having an entire room in my home dedicated to tying. I have set up a spare bedroom as my studio and everything flytying or flyfishing is stored there. I spend countless hours each night sitting at the bench either working on flies or justt dreaming about a stream. Granted, I am somewhat fortunate, as most have limited space to work in, or get cast out to a workshop or garage. When you have limited space to tie, organization is of the utmost importance.

keepi9ng your materials stored properly and organized well is the key to making your time at the bench more productive. Knowing exactly where everything is helps speed up the creative process because you don't have to waste time and energy, and the aggravation, of trying to hunt done materials, hooks, tools, etc. It doesn't really matter how or in what kind of containers you store items, the important thing is that they are stored so that they are out of the way when you don't need them, but are close by when you do. Plastic containers you can find in hobby stores, craft stores, and hardware departments are ideal for storing the smallest and largest of you goods. They protect your materials from mites and rot, and keep your other items from being scattered all over your tying area.

Here's another tip for newbies....clean as you tie. If you tie a pattern and are finished and plan to tie another separate pattern, go ahead and clear your area of everything you don't need for the next pattern. This will keep materials and waste from accumulating as you tie and when your time at the bench is coming to an end, you have less mess to deal with and can more on to other projects or honey-do's. Ifr anyone was to randomly look into the studio, they would think I was never in there. The truth is, I keep it cleaner than the rest of the house because that's where I spend the majority of my home time. Keep it neat. Keep it straight. And keep it clean. Your parents and significant others will thank you for it in the long run!!!

Tight lines and no wind knots!!

Big Daddy

Sign in to follow this