Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Jungle Cock Popper

This might be interesting for the board...This is a Popper that is epoxied at head and the hackles flow back as part of the fly to make one flowing fly..This is a sand eel..... The next picture is a grouping of these flies... Fly Tyer Mag is also interested in these after the Crab and Flounder.

post-2-1063408116.jpg

Stri,

that is friggin' amazing!!!!! Is that your original design?....GREAT WORK!!!! You never cease to amaze me!!!!

Tha concept of epoxing the hackles into the head was an Idea I got from Mike Croft, who was featured in Bob Veverka's Book on Innovative flies... But... the continuation of the hackles AS PART of the head is mine. Mike would tie the tail in conventionally, then epoxy in the same feather in the head... I changed the concept by forgoing the conventional shank tye( except for some bucktail to give some support to the outer hackles), and made the head flow with the body... They move bueatifully in the water as one piece... If you think about it it makes poppers more like flys in that there is no distinct difference beween the heads and tails...like the usual fly.

Great looking poppers! FlyTyer Magazine should definitely run an article on these. Do you coat the head with wet epoxy and then lay the feathers on? If so, do you then lay another coat of epoxy over the feathers to make it more durable?

Dave