Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

tarpon flies

I have never fished for tarpon, I've never even flyfished in the salt. I hope to change both of those though. I have noticed that a lot of tarpon flies are tied right at the bend with a thread covered shank. WHy is this? Is there a reason, or is it just convention. It seems like it would keep the hackle from fouling, any other reason

Dan

Dan, I've never fished for Tarpon either, but I've tied thousands of Tarpon flies. That is what is known as "Keys" style & there are a few reasons why they're tied that way.

You're correct on the main reason, it's a way to keep the feathers from fouling around or under the hook. Often fly anglers may only get one chance to present the fly to a Tarpon, & if the fly fouls, it's usually a wasted effort.

It also allows for a larger fly, without making it heavier, which can be important on the shallow flats. Tarpon are large fish so the fly has to be large enough to interest them, yet land without much noise, as Tarpon in, clear, shallow waters can be very spooky.

Another thing the design has going for it is it's somewhat less wind resistant than conventional style streamers, which is often important on windy days.

One other advantage to this design is it allows the use of heavy shock tippets, which are often snelled to the hook shank. If you ever get a chance to look thru Tarpon fly displays & see a section of the shank left bare directly

behind the hook eye, this is why it's tied that way, a snell is much easier & stronger, and the fly won't hinge at the connection to the shock leader.

I tied tarpon flies at one time for several well known Keys guides including Jeffrey Cardenas (1989 Fly Rod & Reel Guide of the Year & owner of the Saltwater Angler in Key West)

and Ralph Delph, (guides for some of the top anglers who regularly fish the big tournaments in Florida, and is the guy who is said to have taught Stu Apte. He also holds or has held a bunch of world records for both conventional & fly tackle. Check the IGFA record books & Ralphs name appears often & way back.)

I learned a lot from them about how Tarpon flies should be tied, but I started tying them when I was a kid and used them for Bass & Pickeral.