Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Smallmouth Seeker

I'm new to the board and wanted to enter with my most productive fly for the South Branch of the Potomac here in the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia. Simple to tie but effective.

Hook....3xl

Thread..UNI 6/0 Orange

Tail.......Browm Marabou

Body.... Black Bear

Rib........Gold Wire

Head... Gold Bead

Weight..Lead Wire .20

Hackle ..Brown( Soft hackle)

Collar..... Angora Goat (Orange) Dubbing Loop

~~~~~~~~~ Smallmouth Seeker~~~~~~~~~

seeker.jpg

~~~ Tight Lines... Carl~~~~

Welcome fly fisherman glad to see you got on the board! That's a nice lookin smallie fly I must say. Is that a pattern of your own design? Do you ever tie them without the bead? I have a hard time keeping a bead head out of the rocks in shallow rapids, but use a bead in the deeper pulls.

If you been doing any fishin lately I'd love to see how you did in the fly fishing reports forum! Once again welcome and we would love to see you come around often and make yourself comfortable because there is alot of Smallmouth junkies around here.

Will,

It feels comfortable in here already. Thanks for providing such a nice site that we can visit and discuss our love of fly fishing and all that goes with it. Most of the flies on my page are my design. Of course it's not hard to call a fly one's own design. Just takes a little tweeking like on a Deceiver. I have fished the Seeker without a bead but found it less productive. I use to scoff at beads but over the past couple years am becoming "a believer". Catch far more trout on bead head nymphs that just straight stuff. Don't ask me why. I weight the Seeker with lead plus the bead. You could just use the bead with no lead wrapping and it would stay very shallow.

Again thanks for your warm welcome,

Carl