Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Gerstner Tying Chest

Man I was just browsing around for tying benches and came across a Gerstner tying chest. Man is it nice, but $820 for a tying chest is a little insane! Here's a pic

user posted image

my dad is sort of like norm from the new yankee workshop, and i keep bugging him to make me a tying bench and chest like that. he says that it's no problem, but i haven't seen it yet. maybe someday.

Guest Guest

In any of it's other incarnations, Gerstner's box is a toolmaker's or machinist's bench tool box. Sometimes these types of boxes can be found for much less $$ through catalog sales companies, etc. Also, it's a great project for home woodshop, highschool or night school woodworking class. Drawings can be found in project magazines, etc.

That's my post above this one. I think it's kinda strange that this board doesn't have filters or constraints on posters; I answered thinking I was logged in, and it popped "Guest" - isn't that a little open-ended to allow? or am I just too used to the member log-in of boards in general??

Well we are kinda of testing things right now. I would of course like to see people register but if they wanna just try out the board for a while before going through the steps of membership I don't see why they can't post as a "Guest" and if they like it and are wanting to come back often then they could register. We are hoping to not make the registration mandatory then it will encourage people to post. We haven't really discussed it much but it will be on our list of things to discuss. Thanks for the post!

cripplebill,

Would you believe that I got lucky and picked up one similar to that one about 15 years ago at a public sale for $4.00. Only difference is mine has 6 drawers instead of 8. Couldn't believe I got it so cheap but no one there wanted it.

Dave

Dfix, I know you from a few boards, so I know you've been around. j_k.gif But yeah, you get used to the "log in" registering. But alot of the established boards were like that at one time too. Some still are (but not many). This helps lurkers come onto the board and post. The kicker is, you lock off lurker posting, making them HAVE to register. devil.gif

Yea we could easily turn of "Guest Posting" but I'm hoping it encourages some "lurkers" to post a few times and then register.

I was so busy replying to Dfix, I forgot to actually post.

I assume that's made of real wood (not particle board) but $850 is WAY too much. At the local sam's club this EXACT same chest sells for $90. Looks identicle. But sold as a "multi purpose/toolbox".

I will tell you this much. And I'm sure Jim would agree. You wouldn't want this box. It's cumbersome, HEAVY, and won't store like you'd like. It's better to have rubbermaids, and other misc. storage boxes on your desktop. I have a HUGE EMT's box (actually a box made especially for EMT's by Plano, nice setup), and it holds just nicely, and is a lightweight box. I know I picked up that box shown, and weighed more empty then my box did full. But mine is ONLY a travel box. Which I'll be switching into an actual travel bag soon. But it's best to store in something that will be easier to use. Eventually, you'll get tired of setup quick. Below, I'm showing you a picture of my fly tying desk. This whole desk is nothing but fly tying materials. All the drawers below the desktop is extra materials. Capes, furs, just about anything extra I'd need.

user posted image

and this when I want to get away from the bench

user posted image

So, don't worry about boxes like that. They don't do alot for you really. Especially transportation/storage wise. They are good for show if you have a storefront, but for most part aren't all they are cracked up to be.