Fly Tying
Joe Hard

Balizas (Spanish Lighthouse)

I tied this fly to resemble a Dick Talleur (sp.?) Fly I saw in one of the fly mags. He used brahma. I used Coq De Leon and slayed the tail. I tied this fly for bass but think lots of different fish would hit it.

I gave it the name after searching the web on Northern Spain. Originally where the foul feathers used were from. It kind of reminded me of a lighthouse. Here is a quote where I got the name from

The Spanish word for a lighthouse is faro, but its use is generally restricted to the larger coastal light stations. Smaller lighthouses are called balizas (beacons). The navigational lights in Spain are regulated at the national level by the Comisíon de Faros, but they are operated and maintained by the regional port authorities, one or more in each province.

Hope you like.

Great looking fly and very interesting name. I was picturing a red and white spiral body when I read the name. I understand your choice of names after I read your post. Looks like a fish beacon to me! :D