Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Brood X Cicada

How do you plan to fish it? dunno.gif

From what I have seen , they flop on the water. Sit for a bit then buzz like hell.

Sit for a bit then buzz like hell....

Good question Kevin. It would be almost impossible to imitate the "buzzing" sound that they make with their wings but with the way the head it shaped with a twitch of the rod the fly should dive under the water a bit. This should displace quite a bit of water and should be enough of a commotion to at least get their attention.

I slanted and semi-cupped the faces of a few of the initial patterns I have completed thus far...I'm hoping it will displace enough water to get something's attention....a little side to side twitching should do the trick! Also have plans for adding a little noise to my next one, but I will share that only with Will!!! wink.gif

In regards to how they act in the water, they drown pretty fast. Throw a glass of water on one and he'll die in short order. And after a rain there will be dead ones all over the ground.

So maybe an initial spastic retrieve followed by a dead drift with minute twitches

i have now successfull and very simply added some noise....worm rattles oushed into the body....great noise! I'm a genuis! wink.gif

That is a very good tie to imitate the naturals. As for critique, the only thing that I think could be improved is the wing. Use the same material, but less of it. Wings are transluscent, and with the amount that's in the picture there may not be enough light to pass through and look like the real deal. I'd say maybe half of the material that's in the picture would be about right.

How big a difference will this make? Probably not much, but even if it's the deal breaker for just a few fish than it's worth it.

Great work, and great use of the larva lace for the legs!

This is an awesome bait. I saw the one Big D made at the bait shop on Saturday. I've yet to see anything in the Umpqa case come close to it. These fellows, in my opinion, have set the standard in this area...

As far as modifying it further, what's the need. You have to remember this is a bass bug, it will be destroyed as is on an early morning in a Ky Creek. I remember back in 87 when the "Locusts" fell from the trees and hit the waters most were annilated a few moments after hitting the water. Their wings were fluttering 100mph, fish were swimming from 2 pools away to check them out. The rattle that has been inserted will hopefully as account for some of the flutter........

Billy

MArk,

i took a different approach to the wing than did Will. I used sparse deer hair at the shaft of the wing (orange) but the rest of the wing is a combination of Fishair and Flash....sparse, but great reflective properties....all tests looked great in the bathtub, the sink, and the pond (before is iced over). I felt the finer Angel hair style material might be a little to "thin" and would tend to mat up in a quicker drift....but, I used Will's idea for a bug to fish the lakes and ponds.....

Mark,

I do believe my next prototype I will try Krystal flash which should work alot better than the wing 'n flash material that I used for this one. It should also be quite a bit more durable which is very important to a fly that takes this much time.

the Polar flash I used worked great Will.....it is available in just about any color you could want, even copper (hint, hint)....I used belly hair at the shaft of the completed wing, just to give it a fuller look, kinda looks like the main structures of the wing itself....turned out to be a nice tie....you'll be jealous! tongue.gif