Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JackG

Messin around on the vise

was in the beggining part of trying to tie a seaducer when i realized that i had no red hackle... so i was messing around with some marabou and came up with this... i guess i could call it a shrimp pattern, what do you guys think?

user posted image

user posted image

That's nice Jack... remember when working with maribou... when you grab a marabou feather,,, be sure to "pluck" the top center tip out.. then fold ,and your Maribou will be fuller and more even. Try a hy-tye and low tye with two pieces and that would fill out the head more and make it even. Never cut the maribou until after you have it tied in.. that is, tie it in then pull it though the tie to the length or fullness you want ...then cut off the protruding end .. the end you pulled with your fingers.. the base of the feather.

You could also Palmer the maribou around the shank (like a Gartside soft hackle) for a fuller look. Tie the maribou in by the tip, and "fold" the fibers back on either side of the stem then spiral wrap it around the shank. It's kind of a hard technique to describe, but if you PM me I'll give you the name of a couple of books that have pictures.

Jack, you're off to a good start! Not to take away from what you've tied with the marabou, but white Seaducers can also be tied with other colors for the front hackle. I've used orange, yellow, chartreuse, black, purple & hot pink sometimes, in addition to the more traditional red. All of them work well at times for Largemouth Bass, Stripers, Redfish & Seatrout! wink.gif