Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutnabout

Fly patterns for lake trout

Buggers are a must, you might also want to pack some clousers, some streamers that look like your local baitfish, and don't forget a box of drys & droppers. I like parachute adams about size 16, dropped 18 inches to a size 20 tiger midge.

In Utah, just outside of Zion national park, there is a lake by the name of Kolob (pronounced Co-lob) Reservoir, during the spring summer season there are only two patterns you need. I'm not sure of the origination or original names, but my 'circle' calls these the Green Goblin and Halloween. Late fall and into winter the fish prefer plain jane brown and plain jane black Buggers...... Maybe these will work for you?

post-3723-1153690218_thumb.jpg

post-3723-1153690344_thumb.jpg

I would check to see if you can find a hatch chart for that area. I would also take some tradditional atreamers like Mikey Finns, muddler minnows, grey ghosts ect. and as said minnow/baitfish patterns. I would also have a few hopper patterns on hand. If you dont want to get into match the hatch try some attractor drys like addams, royal coachmans, black gnats ect. also the same for nymphs. Hares ear, prince, zug bug, bitch creek etc. Dont over look wet flys either.

Small 10 - 12 olive buggers for damsel nymphs. Any pond/ reservoir will probably have a good population of chironomid midges. If this is the case try buzzer/chironomid nymphs and shipmans buzzers for emergers, sizes 12 - 18. At this time of year probably olive or brown nymphs and red, claret or orange shipmans or DHEs. In the UK chironomid midges make up over 50% of still water Trout diet. Try a pattern database search for buzzer, chironomid, or midge and damsel.

For wets try slim Stewart type spiders and stuff like the Mallard or Teal series such as Teal and green, Teal and orange, Mallard and claret etc.

I've tied midges before, for still water nymphing, (zebra, and the like), but not the buzzer/chironomid nymphs. I noticed when I researched the database that a couple had orange (or red?) in the thorax that seemed to be “surrounded” by some other material. :huh: (See the American Buzzer, Peccary Buzzers, or Glass Buzzer as examples.)

None of the patterns have very extensive tying instructions. So, … how the heck DO you tie these babies??!?? :wallbash: