Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brokenrod

EP flies

These is another atempt at tying some saltwater flies.

post-5951-1156369978_thumb.jpg

Joe, Thanks for the kind words. I haven't but as soon as I place another order for more tying supplies I will get thous colors.

I go to the shore prety much everday, (out on the mudflats) and see baitfish in the tidal pools and in the small channels that fill with the tide. They seem to be an olive over yellow with a white belly. I have never tied one of these types of flies but can see that they would be effective. I recently picked up some ep fibers and got a bunch of congo hair but have yet to tie one of these flies up. Too many projects and not enough time and a bit lazy

Nice fly.

If you fish clear water try tying it with only 1/3 of the material you used for that fly.

This year I've had by best success with extremely sparce flies that look almost clear in the water - kind of like baitfish.

JOE

BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT REALLY ISN'T THAT HARD TO TIE. IF YOU LAYOUT THE MATERIAL IN THE ORDER THEY GO ON THE HOOK IT WILL TAKE LESS TIME. SINCE EACH BUNCH OF FIBER IS SHORT THEN THE ONE BEFORE IT. I WILL HAVE TO GIVE YOUR COLOR COMBINATION A TRY. BASICALLY I JUST TIED THE PATTERNS JUST TO SEE IF I COULD DO IT. IF ANYONE LIVE IN MARYLAND AND WOULDN'T MIND COMPANY FLY FISHING I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TRY IT. I WENT WITH SOME FRIEND YEARS AGO BUT THE FISHING WASN'T THAT GREAT AND NONE OF US KNEW WERE TO GO OR HOW TO FISH FOR BLUES OR STRIPPERS WADING.

SEAN JUAN

I WILL GIVE IT A TRY WITH LESS MATERIAL. I DIDN'T USE THAT MUCH WHEN I TIED THESE AND IT DOES BULK FAST.

Nice fly. If you are going to be doing a lot of them, you should pick up a set of thinning scissors. You can drop almost 1/3 of the fibers out of a fly and still maintain the "bulk" and profile by carefully thinnning it.

A lot of folks fish the smaller EP flies without problems, but as the patterns get longer you may have isues with knots in the tail due to fish, casting, etc. Keep a small brush or comb in your tackle kit and you can rejuvenate almost any synthetic fly.

JJD

Thanks for the information. I didn't think of the thinning scissors good idea. I did make the fly a little bulker than it should be. I will pick up a pair of thinning scissors. I will try making them thinner in the future.