Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gill buster

Knotting deer hair

I have always just wrapped some tying thread around where I wanted the joint, put some glue on it then bend it.

I use a mix of very long lime green & white dyed bucktail. Try and find the longest you can. I usually end up going to three or four shops before I find the good long stuff. I separate a nice clump of each white and green,{about the size of a dime at the base} enough to make one leg. Leave them attached to the piece of pelt and cut the entire piece of pelt out. By leaving the little pieces of pelt attached it is much easire to work with and keep everything even. Lay one on-top of the other, Green on top of white, then tie two knots in opposite directions using a rug hook, so that the knee and foot will point in opposite right angles. One knot overhand at the knee, and one underhand about 1/2" from the tip end for the foot. Then when the leg is finished I take a surgical scalpel and remove the whole finished leg from the pieces of pelt so you get as much length as you can. Squeeze a drop of super glue inside each knot. For the second leg follow the same procedure, only this time remember to tie it white on-top of green or you will end up with two left feet and he won't be able to dance very well! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: