Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cvansickler

Epoxy

you can try the 5 minute epoxy that comes in the double tube saringe, just squeeze it out and mix the amount you need.

I prefer the two tube or bottle type of epoxy. The critical item for mixing is equal volumes of part A & B (resin and hardener),,,,,mix completely is also very important. These two factors are the main reason many people have trouble with not setting or hardening.

The Devcon brand is the most popular with salt water FF. The 5 min is quick and convient however, it will yellow fairly fast in the sunlight. The 2 hour setting type of Devcon is much stronger and slower to yellow.

Regards,

FK

I've had good luck with the clear Devcon 5 minute epoxy. I haven't noticed any yellowing of the epoxy on the flies I've tied with the 5 minute version.

As FKROW pointed out, its important to mix the two (equal) parts thoroughly. However, be careful not to get air into the mix, which affects curing and clarity.

In my experience, the key is to make sure the end of the toothpick (or whatever you are stirring with) stays in the mixture while stirring, rather than coming out of the mixture and going back in (which brings in air). In other words, stir, don't beat like you would with scrambled eggs.

Also, I agree that individual tubes are easier to use then the double syringe model. The latter tends to clog, and makes it hard to get equal amounts of the two parts of the epoxy.

Another option is to use rod finish. I don't remember where I heard about. The good thing is it stays clear a long time. Of course I lose my flies before they yellow, so I just use 5 min epoxy.