Fly Tying
RoyalWulff

20/0 Caenis thread

Hey everyone,

I picked up 4 spools of this uni thread, and it is unreal how tiny it is. Although it is suprisingly strong. I was using it to tie up some size 20 g-gants, and there is no bulk at all. Plus the thread doesnt seem to get caught on my rough hands. I am not sure if it is like regular thread, since it seems to strech a little bit, maybe it is plastic. Anyways, I seem to like it, although I do not see using it a whole lot. One thing I found is that using a bobbin that I streched a little too much, which doesnt have a lot of tension is perfect.

-Phil

It is not a 20/0 thread but a 20-denier. It is a single ply nylon thread and comes in White and Black. Uni 6/0, 8/0 & 17/0 are a polyester multi fiber thread so it is not quite different to work with. It has amazing strength and not as much stretch as other brands or materials. I enjoyed tying 26's and smaller with no bulk. Here is a little more info and a cool read.

http://www.uniproducts.com/vgxadm/_data_/p....3761805556.pdf

Joe Fox

Joe,

Infact I bought my 4 spools from you off of ebay. Thanks a lot man! I love the stuff, and I really appreciated your ebay shop.

I thought it was 20/0, but what does 20 denier translate into in oughts?

-Phil

I enjoy using the 20 denier UNI thread a lot. I've been using it when tying size 10 scuds. It is tiny, smaller I am sure than a human hair, but it is strong for its size. I have broken it several times, generally when I don't have my mind on what I'm doing. I normally use the white.

If you have a particular color you desire, even though the thread comes only in the black or white, I have found that when using white, I can finish a head or body, and by using a Prismacolor pen, I can color the thread quickly. All you need to do is touch the sharp tipped end on the pen to the thread. The coloring immediately bleeds/spreads throughout the thread body coloring most if not all the color you desire. If I need to color an uncolored area, just touch the pen to thread again. Then, I apply a small amount of Hard Head or Hard as Nails to seal the thread and anchor it in place.

Ray

Thanks for the tip Ray. I was thinking about that because white and black isnt the widest array of colours. I have only used the black so far, and I am enjoying it. I have broken it a lot, but I have noticed that it is much more abrasion resistent then I would have thought.

-Phil