Fly Tying
Ashby

Cierra City Church

Here is a church I found one day while doing some fishing. This is really a test to see if I can upload pictures like the rest of you guys do lol. Mine always load as thumbnails, so I went to do it on photo bucket. Let me know if there is an easier way to do this. Anyway, hope you like the picture.

Ashby

IPB Image

I like the size of that picture Ashby. It came out a lot bigger than mine do. Great picture to.

Jim

That came out great Ashby. You can also downsize your pix in whatever photo editing program you use. (Is that what Photobucket is?) I use iPhoto, which comes with Macs. I don't know what the maximum width is here, but Graham probably knows. Most of mine are 600-700 pixels, but obviously you can go bigger.

That sure is a beautiful church and surroundings.

To resize my photos I use Photoshop and change the image size to 2.5" wide (800 pixels) and leave it set at 300 dpi. Then I click on save for web and optimize the JPEG, and choose 60% quality. The quality setting is what determines the file size, not the image size. You can have two identically sized images on your monitor, but one could be 10 times larger and take forever to download for those on dialup. Back in the late 90's when most people were connecting with dialup ,using 28k, I set my image quality at 10% when saving files for the internet. Some forums restrict images to 600 pixels wide, but that seems to be less enforced now that so many people use broadband.

The image above is getting close to half a megabite, and back when I was on dialup, it would have taken at least 5 minutes to load.

I'm wondering, for those that do not have Adobe Photoshop, is there a website where one can upload photos to be optimally resized for the web?

Graham

Thanks guys. Photobucket does require you to be under a size, of course this one is set to that max size. I believe most of the photo sites out there may require you to have them made to a certain size. I use Paint Shop Pro XI. For this photo I used Microsoft Photo Editor and it did fine. The next time though I will take it to a smaller size so it doesn't take up the whole page lol.

Ashby

I'm wondering, for those that do not have Adobe Photoshop, is there a website where one can upload photos to be optimally resized for the web?

Graham

I don't know about optimising but the host I use ( Zenfolio) is both convenient in terms of resizing and good at down sampling.

I upload 1024 x 760 images ( max quality) and could if I wanted upload the full files. Then when I opt to display the image on various websites I have the option to display anything from the "full" size that I uploaded ( in my case 1024 x 768) right down to 60 x 40.

1024x683 (original upload)

IPB Image

800 x 533 <<< What I normally display on websites such as this

IPB Image

580 x 386

IPB Image

By-passing 3 options

60 x 40

IPB Image

For the amount of money it cost me per year and the amount of storage I get with a base subscription ( 1 gig) and for their interface (very good). Im really happy with it. I have close to 500 images on and 750MB free space.

If you don't have Photoshop, download GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It's free, works just like Photoshop, and is pretty slick for free software. It has all the capabilities of a Photoshop from ~2 years ago, and is kept up to date on a regular basis.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

I use this program a lot, and it's great.

Let me know if you have questions.

Ryan

Man, that first shot is a sweet picture. I just love the Hawk picture. I have a lot to learn about all this stuff, but I'll get there lol.

Ashby