Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Boy

wolly buggers

There is a book called The Fly Tyers Bible by Tafft Price I think. That has lots of streamers as well as other patterns. A lot of the flies are from and for European waters.

Other flies that may work for you are a black ghost, the edson tigers, the little or baby trout series. If the water is murky try an all orange, Carrie Stevens pattern (orange bugger or muddlers ect). I love casting and fishing streamers. I have been using some of the larger Kelly Galoup and my own patterns, but want to start fishing more of the tradditional Carrie Stevens flies.

One fly here that is killer on trout is local pattern called a badger or grey squirel. It is a Montreal wet fly varriation with badger or grey squirel hair for the wing tied on a streamer hook. Also a deadly wet fly in lakes and still waters, The Montreal will fill your creel and then some. Another Montreal version for sea trout is a white goose or turkey wing, with plain clarret body and no rib. Again as a small streamer or wet.

Like a wolly bugger and clouser minnow a muddler minnow is an true fish catcher. I tie the muddlers with silver, gold and copper tinsel bodies.Have a look at your baitfish, if they are light in colour use light mottled feathers (turkey or pheasant) for the tail and wing. I find these work best with copper or gold boddies. If the baitfish seem dark or almost black I will use dark mottled feathers with a silver body. Here the muddlers work best with a small head, I take a lighter to singe the spun deer hair after its clipped, they sink a little on a floating line just under the surface, where a natural minnow will be to feed. Marabou and kiwi muddlers work well and are fairly easy ties.

I fished muddlers for years on a floating line, but got a copy of Kelly Galoups Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout. It changed the way I fished and thought about streamers. There is a lot of info and patterns that will change the way you fish. I know lots of members here have said the same thing

Nice conehead-buggers! I tie them that way too- also with rubber legs - a set of two to a side, about a third of the way back from the eye. I often use a collar of peacock herl behind the cone too - it gives the fly sort of a fishy profile and peacock adds a quality that trout sometimes find irresistible. One of my favorite colors is white - I've taken some of my best brown trout on white or white and pink conehead woolly-buggers - and sometimes surprisingly small buggers can take big trout.

Taff Price also wrote a great nymph pattern book - Tying & Fishing The Nymph (1995) - one of my favorites, highly recommended!

Buggers look great. As for streamer suggestions I think it's been pretty well covered. But try some color variations on the buggers.

A few recommendations I received for my Salmon Trip have been:

Black and Olive Woolly Bugger

Purple and Black Woolly Bugger

Pink Woolly Bugger

Try an Egg Sucking Leech as well or perhaps a Woolly Worm.

Very nice woolly buggers. Has any one ever tied streamers with arctic fox fur? It has great movement in the water and easily creates a large profile that willingly sinks.