Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CharlieD

String Leach

People always seem to be looking for tying instructions for a string leach so I decided to take a crack at a tutorial on how I tie them. Keep in mind that this is not the only way and there are other good ways to tie them, but this is the one that I like to do.

Start by cutting a strip of rabbit fir to a length of about an inch shorter than you want the fly to be. In this case about 5 inches. I like to use magnum cut rabbit strips since they are a bit fuller than the regular ones and we are tying a rather large fly.

IPB Image

Next, secure a small section of micro tubing in your vice. Split the rabbit fir on the strip approximately one and one half inches from the front of the strip, lay it on top of the tube and tie it down. Secure the thread with a whip finish and apply some head cement.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Remove the tube from the vise and trim the tube on both sides close to the tie in point.

IPB Image

Repeat this process about one and one half inches from the first tube.

IPB Image

Next, snell a hook to about ten inches of some dark colored line. In this case I used an octopus hook and 50lb. gel spun line.

IPB Image

Thread the line through the tubes on the rabbit strip.

IPB Image

Next, rotate the head of your vise about 90 degrees and secure a Waddington shank in your vise (I like to use the 20mm size for this type of fly). Secure the turned down eye of the shank in the jaws of the vise.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thread the line with the snelled hook through the turned down eye and secure it to the bottom of the shank with the hook extending about five inches back past the rear eye of the Waddington shank.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thread the remainder of the line through the front eye of the shank, fold it back on top of the shank, bind it down and trim off the excess.

IPB Image

Next, secure the front end of the rabbit strip to the back of the Waddington shank (at this point you can tie in some type of flash if you like).

IPB Image

Tie in some lead eyes to the front of the shank on the bottom side.

IPB Image

Tie another rabbit fur strip to the back of the shank, wind it foreword and tie it off.

IPB Image

IPB Image

At this point you can finish the head and the fly is complete.

IPB Image

Super great post. I've seen other examples but this is very clear and thorough. Nicely done.

Now the problem is, what weight rod do you use to fling that monster? :blink:

I guess it's all proportional and you can tie smaller versions for a 6 wt setup I guess.

cruncher,

They can be a bitch to cast when they are wet. The 5 – 6 inch version shown is usually attached to one of my 8 or 9 wt. spey rods. And yes, you can pair them down a bit for different situations.

Oooo, how did I miss this one?!? This looks like a wonderful fishing fly, Charlie. I haven't seen you on the site lately, but I've greatly admired your flies for a long time. Thanks for sharing the details of how you created this fly.

Do a Google search and you should be able to find a source. You could also visit your local hardware store and pick up some cotter pins to use.