Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
quillknot

GREENWELL SPIDER

Nicley done. is that a quill body on the spider?

Forgive me I am not a trout fisherman.

I'm by no means an expert, but I've been tying for a few years. What I would say, in regards to the Redtag and the March Brown, is to try to taper your body a little more, first of all. Maybe a finer dubbing or a dubbing loop to tighten it up a little or less hurl over a tapered thread body. Also, one or two less turns of hackle to keep it more sparse. All that said, for a new tyer, they look pretty good and I'm sure they'd catch fish. Keep it up!

Any of you experts out there, feel free to critique my critique.

Byt the way, what is the Redtag meant to imitate, if anything?

those are awesome i like the hackle used on the olive floss body one and the hackle is the perfect length and the white point complement it perfectly the one with thered tag is a great tie to like the brown hackle with peacock hearl body.any ways awesome job good luck and tight lines rhino.................

Both look very nice. My recommendations (remember only my opinion):

Red Tag - a great pattern, I like mine tied a bit more sparse on the tag and the hackle. Also the head could use a bit more work, but no worries, that usually just comes with practice. Try to make your head as small and neat as possible.

Greenwell's - Again just work on the head a bit more and as a matter of preference the ribbing looks a tiny bit too big. You could practice making the thread body a little bit smoother. I like to use two layers of thread on my spider bodies. I wrap to the back nice and even, when I get to the stopping point I untwist the thread so when I wrap forward I am laying down smooth untwisted wraps.

All these points are just nit picking quillknot. The flies look great, take your time and practice a bit more with thread control, nice tight even wraps, smooth it out when desirable. Less is better.

Keep up the good work! :headbang:

Both look very nice. My recommendations (remember only my opinion):

Red Tag - a great pattern, I like mine tied a bit more sparse on the tag and the hackle. Also the head could use a bit more work, but no worries, that usually just comes with practice. Try to make your head as small and neat as possible.

Greenwell's - Again just work on the head a bit more and as a matter of preference the ribbing looks a tiny bit too big. You could practice making the thread body a little bit smoother. I like to use two layers of thread on my spider bodies. I wrap to the back nice and even, when I get to the stopping point I untwist the thread so when I wrap forward I am laying down smooth untwisted wraps.

All these points are just nit picking quillknot. The flies look great, take your time and practice a bit more with thread control, nice tight even wraps, smooth it out when desirable. Less is better.

Keep up the good work! :headbang:

CHEERS OLD HAT , THANKS FOR THE ADVICE , I'M NEVER AVERSE TO TAKING GOOD ADVICE , SO DON'T HOLD BACK, WHEN TYING FLIES, EXPERIENCE AND TIME SERVED COUNTS INVALUABLE..... CHEERS FOR YOUR RESPONCE

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT ON FUTURE PROJECTS...........JIM

those are awesome i like the hackle used on the olive floss body one and the hackle is the perfect length and the white point complement it perfectly the one with thered tag is a great tie to like the brown hackle with peacock hearl body.any ways awesome job good luck and tight lines rhino.................

CHEERS RHINO FOR THE COMMENTS, IT MEANS A LOT ........ BY THE WAY , I DON'T GET WHAT YOU MEAN BY ( THE WHITE POINT ) ON THE OLIVE FLY ????????

REGARDS.......JIM

:cheers: :cheers: :P :P

I'm by no means an expert, but I've been tying for a few years. What I would say, in regards to the Redtag and the March Brown, is to try to taper your body a little more, first of all. Maybe a finer dubbing or a dubbing loop to tighten it up a little or less hurl over a tapered thread body. Also, one or two less turns of hackle to keep it more sparse. All that said, for a new tyer, they look pretty good and I'm sure they'd catch fish. Keep it up!

Any of you experts out there, feel free to critique my critique.

Byt the way, what is the Redtag meant to imitate, if anything?

WELL I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS ONE IN DEPTH,AS YOU PROBABLY KNOW,THE RED TAG IS A PROLIFIC GRAYLING PATTERN,WELL IT IS THIS SIDE OF THE POND ANYWAY..... AND SINCE MOST BROWN TROUT IN OUR RIVERS ARE STOCKIES AND TEND TO DISMISS THE FLY , THEN IN MY OPINION THE RED TAG REPRESENTS SOMETHING VERY NATURAL TO THE RIVER PERHAPS SOMETHING LIKE A WATER SNAIL WHICH STOCKED TROUT WOULD PROBABLY TURN THEIR NOSE AT ..........BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION :D

OH AND BY THE WAY ....THANKS FOR ADVICE AS I SAID TO ( OLD HAT ) I'ME NEVER AVERSE TO GOOD ADVICE DON'T EVER HOLD BACK YOUR ADVICE I'ME ALL EARS

I think you did a good job. I like Soft Hackles or Spiders. All three would catch fish.

Old Hat said it all.

Again, pleas send receipes.

Thanks and Tightlines, strong hooks and solid strikes.

Jim the desertrout

There's no doubt in my mind that your flies WILL catch fish. I like the pointers already given. As you continue to tie these you will become more sensitive to their shape. Keep tying.

Mark

Great set of flies buddy, but I hope you have tied up multiple copies of each one, because the fish are going to destroy these! :yahoo: :D

I think they are all extremely effective looking patterns and I think that Red Tag pattern will show up in my soft hackle box shortly... ;)