Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Kid

Oliver Edwards & 4 ply yarn

Hi Everyone, First of all I would like to say thanks for getting me interested in realistic fly tying and for all the help I have recieved from reading through all of your posts. I have recently purchased the books that are so often recommended on this page Oliver Edwards Fly Tying Masterclass and Paul Whillock Flys As Art. Finally my question in Oliver Edwards book many of the patterns call for a 4 ply synthetic yarn he says with some antron if possible. Could you please point me towards some suitable yarn for Mr Edwards patterns I found some antron yarn @ J Stockard has anyone tried this yarn for this type of application?? Thank you in advance for any help - Josh

Rino seems to have found the right yarn, I was lucky enough to get a good supply of the original from Ollie Edwards before I left England,

I hope the books help Josh, good books are the next best thing to actually seeing a pattern tied first hand

Anything I can do to help dont hesitate

Tight threads

Mike.................................. B)

Thanks Rhino that stuff looks like it should do the trick. Good guess the case was one of the uses he also calls for it with the jointed ephemera nymph, ephemerella nymph, the emerging dun, the rhyacophila larva, hydropsyche larva. Thanks again for the link.

Thanks Mike Ill bet the stuff strait from Mr. Edwards is great! I was shocked at the prices of the books especially for Fly Tyers Master class! the cheapest one I found was ebay for $100 I offered $50 after a couple weeks of it not selling and was fortunate enough to get the book. It was worth every cent just for the Mohican Mayfly :D I have enjoyed many of your posts thanks for the info, inspiration and hospitality.

Thanks Mike Ill bet the stuff strait from Mr. Edwards is great! I was shocked at the prices of the books especially for Fly Tyers Master class! the cheapest one I found was ebay for $100 I offered $50 after a couple weeks of it not selling and was fortunate enough to get the book. It was worth every cent just for the Mohican Mayfly :D I have enjoyed many of your posts thanks for the info, inspiration and hospitality.

and to think i only paid 19.95 for mine but that was eons ago :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

what caused these books to cost so much???? i got randel k mans nymphs and dries may flies caddis flies etc... may b i should sell in about another 10 years they may be worth $1000's

Hi Josh, Welcome to the forum.

The yarn that Ollie recommended for the patterns in his book is no longer made, nor is it likely to be unfortunately. There is no exact equiv, I know as I have some of the original stuff & have spoken to Ollie about it.

He told me that when the book was being prepared, he had enough yarn made to fill a small bedroom from floor to ceiling, wall to wall. It ran out a year or so after the second edn. was published. The cost of making another (small) batch like that would be astronomical, as it was produced in a yarn factory for him. You could spend months trying to find some & still fail.

Since typing the above, I've just noticed that the format had changed , so I've switched back to standard to see the other postings. I notice that Rhino found some Hareline material that looks similar. However the colours are not at all like the original, for example the green they use is far to deep Ollie's original was nearer a mint green. you may be able to either lighten it, or dye some of the lighter colours to get closer.

My stock was rewound onto tidi-reels for storage convenience, if you want I'll try and do a photo for you, let me know.

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and all of your kindness. Arkle a photo would be great -when u have time of course. I may try the hairline product for the cream/white and brown -just to get started. I am hopeful I can find some closer colors at a fabric store, Im not really finding anything that seems to similar so far, but I just searching so hopefully.... If not I like your Idea of dying a white color its worth a shot. Any other suggestions on substitutions for materials would be greatly apreciated. I recently was lucky enough to stumble accross this website through a google search and was instantly drawn to the realistics forum after seeing everyones work -Its become an obsession!! Im not sure if I should thank you -or curse u lol :D Oh well u gotta spend it on something- right?? lol

*Rhino I did notice the original price was $19.95, now on the net it runs between $100-200 for the $20 paperback- and I only found 4 between ebay and amazon! Which now that I have the book I would pay if I had to. :) Im not sure if its no longer published or what? Im sure Arkle or Mike prob knows more. I found a site called World books selling it for around $25 with tax and shipping - They said I woulnt be billed til they shipped, that was in may still no charge :( Thats when I decided to shell out for it on ebay.

Hi Josh, Will photo for you tomorrow.

My 1st. edn of Ollie's book was bought from the man himself at the game fair a few days after publication. It cost me £19.99 equiv approx of $40 , he still owes me 1p as he had no change, but as it's him I'll let him off. I gather that some copies have sold on ebay in excess of £500. but one has to hit the market at the right time ! if one's selling or buying for that matter. It hasn't been in print for some years, I don't know if there's an update coming out - but will try and find out.

Just a "grab shot" I'm afraid, let me know if you need more & I'll try with different lighting conditions

post-10483-1217260681_thumb.jpg

Arkle thank you!!!! Now I have a much better Idea as to not only the colors but the texture of the yarn as well. Im so thankful you posted that pict as the colors I would have purchased wouldnt have been very close -especially with the greens.